Amedee
Amedee, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 1999 oldsmobile cutlass, I've had this problem

Customer Question

I have a 1999 oldsmobile cutlass, I've had this problem for a while now. occasionally it will act like the throttle is stuck at about 1.5 rpm, kind of like the cruise is on, except it bogs going up hills. it didn't do it in the winter months. I have tried cleaning the throttle body but that didn't help. a buddy said I should of had the car running when I did this? I don't know if this has anything to do with it but sometimes the gas gauge will drop of to empty when tank is full. any suggestions?
Jay
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results/information as possible as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1G3NG52J5X6336531
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for the VIN! Is the check engine light on? Are there any codes in the computer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no to both
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Was the fuel pressure checked?

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

The reason I ask is because you might just have a bad fuel pump causing this condition under a load. This is very common. The high idle condition is either an air or a vacuum leak or a bad TPS.. sometimes this is caused by a bad ot stuck iac motor.

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
something I forgot to mention is, when it starts to idle high if I pull over and when I put it in park it revs then I shut it down and start it back up it idles normal.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
also what is the tps?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
iac motor? idle air control?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

YES, it still could be any of those three.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
idle air control censor, tps? what s that? and you said the fuel pump. correct? for the idle problem?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
The iac motor is the idle air control motor. It is located in the throttle body and controls the engine idle. The TPS is the throttle position sensor and can cause a high idke if it starts to go bad. It is also located on the throttle body. The fuel pump will normally not cause this high idle condition.