Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon,
Experience:  Lead tech at river regions auto
90546729

I need help. My L : My 2003 Oldsmobile Alero won't start.

Customer Question

Hello. I need help. My L
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Oldsmobile. The Oldsmobile Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My 2003 Oldsmobile Alero won't start. When we turn it over it clicks and then the battery seems to drain. We just got a new battery we replaced the alternator, and we replaced the starter. The security light isn't flashing so I don't believe that's the problem. Any ideas?
JA: Many things can cause a car to make those weird sounds. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes we are trying to fix this ourself
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: We got a new battery. We replace the alternator. Then got another battery. And today we just replace the starter. The system security light is not on
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Oldsmobile Mechanic should know about your Oldsmobile?
Customer: I think that's it. As soon as we try to start it the electrical systems stop working.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Oldsmobile Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Oldsmobile
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
After we replaced the alternator and then also replaced the battery, the car worked perfectly for about a week. I was at a loss so we Google the sum Oldsmobile forums and thought it was the starter solenoid so we just replaced that. I just don't understand why everytime we try to start it it seems like it drains the battery again even though we had that new alternator. I hope it's not the fuel pump we replaced that about 6 years ago and it was pretty costly.
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 6 months ago.

Hello you say it was perfect for a week. What exactly happens when you try to start the car does it turn over? Does it spin over but not start, Or does the engine not crank over at all? Does the security light come on with the bulb check?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When we try to start the car it does not turn over. The engine does not crank at all. The security light does not come on either. Also, when we tried to start the car, the time and all the electrical resets. Meaning that every time we try to start the car and the electrical works the clock always goes back to 12.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also, when we turn the key we get a small click but that's it and it appears to drain the battery or the electrical dims down

Okay no doubt we have a connection issue somewhere what about your battery cable ends any corrosion

Has there been any previous work done to the car, when it does start have there been any other issues such as performance problems or electical issues. You can take both those battery cables off and soak them in a cup full of baking soda and water it will boil it clean

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We just looked at the battery cables and they're very clean. We have had issues where it overheated and we turned the car off and the fans went on for about 20 minutes and then we added more antifreeze. The only other thing I can think of is I bought a cheapy alternator online so maybe I need to buy a better one and maybe I got a lemon.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The engine is very dirty. Before we replaced the alternator and the battery and the starter the car has sat for about a year. I was thinking of even maybe trying to hose out the engine or something.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When the car sat for a year it had a full tank of gas and just due to the timing it also needs an oil change but we can't get it to the shop without getting it started.

On your car it will be fine i do it all the time i will slightly wet it spray it down with some good degreaser and hose it off

Can you follow the battery cables to the starter and to the engine block where they are grounded? ANy signs of overheating, are they tight?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My son is going to look at the cables now. PS we've tried jump starting the car twice and that doesn't work. I'm just trying to give you as much history as I can

Due to the fact that you are losing memory i beleive you have a connection problem

thank you for that, and the fact you cant jump it off goes to further my beleif we have a connection problem.

Do you have a voltmeter or test light?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. He said that they feel tight. I'd like to hose down the engine in the morning. We've been working on this car all day. Can we finish this trouble shooting again tomorrow?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. I don't have a voltmeter but I can probably buy one tomorrow.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Then we can start fresh and start rechecking all the connections. I'm just glad to hear some kind of feedback and ideas of what to check next
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also do you think that any relays or fuses could be bad that I should check on?

Yes by all means check all fuses. after you hose it down and clean it real good, do you have a blower of some type like leaf blower or compressed air? if so good idea go blow everything dry. And i will be looking for you tomorrow

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sounds good. I will blow it out too. Thanks for your suggestions. Talk 2 manana.

Very well i look forward to helping you fix it

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Good morning. Happy Memorial day. I don't expect you to respond due to this wonderful holiday but I just wanted to give u an update. We replaced the spark plugs (was way overdue @ 120k miles) and replaced fuses and a relay. We still had no crank no start. We had one last attempt at jumping the battery and it started!!! We cruised the car a couple of times, no overheating, ran great. Now, the car won't start again without a jump. But this time we hear several clicks like it's tryin to start so thats a minor improvement. This was/is still a new battery. I bought a nice voltmeter and it won't turn on so we're going to check the battery on that. Ugh. My intuition is telling me that I bought a POS cheapy onlone alternator instead of one from a reliable store. Anyhow, that's where we're at. We may try to test it again next week or have the battery/ alternator tested at Auto Zone. At least my daughter knows that her car is almost ruining....

Good morning thank you so much for your patience. Have you had the battery checked yet?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Reggie, due to work constraints we have to wait to do it on the weekend. I'll let ya know as soon as we find out. We're definitely making progress though!

Okay please let me know where we can get this closed thank you