Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Just shuts down! from hiway speed & arbitrarily just loses

Customer Question

just shuts down! from hiway speed & arbitrarily just loses power & stalls
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: only when driving, warn lights don't come on until completely stalled
JA: What kind of car is it? Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, etc.
Customer: Olds Alero 2001
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: started doing this a couple of days ago (only have the car for about 2 months) drove approx 140 mile, on return trip for approx 120 miles, running approx 65 mph just lost power then completely shut off, no throttle response; then 2 days ago it shut downseveral times after driving approx 70 miles then reduced distance to 50, & approx 25 miles intervals
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes but if not able towill bring to a mechanic (licensed!) mostly hoping to get an idea of what the prob is ??fuel filter, pump or ignition switch (it was a part of the GM recall)notsure if it was replaced or what the symptoms are, we only have Olds key & factory fob onkeyring
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: just checked air filter, which had moderate/light dust have also checked gas cap tightness as this occurred after trip to Oregon (with attendants serving gas) checked oil level; engine temps have been running in the warm range (just at the bottom of mid line
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your car?
Customer: 4 way flasher switch has been removed from dash & not replaced prior to our purchase!! car has 200,000 miles on odo but seems to run strong also thinking of catalytic converter as possible culprit?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 6 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

Sorry for the delay, I was busy most of the day today. I do not know why no others took the plunge on this concern, but I am willing to if your still needing help after this excessive wait time.

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I didn't know I would be billed an additional amount, I was charged $5 from my debit card but not the entire ?$24. I couldn't open the text message thru my phone (not a "smart phone" ) it's a flip phone so I will have to wait ....
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
also I do not see any answers to my concerns thru this message after hitting view

I have nothing to do with the fees, I just answer questions. Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok Moose I got your text, went to the Web site & nothing related to my problem was listed. also nothing in this correspondence dealing with my car problems
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will search for the answer myself
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will not bother rating this service as I feel my questions weren't addressed, no further correspondance please, thank you dave.rummell

Thanks for letting me know your not in need of assistance any longer.