Pete, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  17 years Oldsmobile training and experience.

2001 Oldsmobile Alero -- Starts 1-2 seconds and dies.

Customer Question

2001 Oldsmobile Alero -- Starts for about 1-2 seconds and dies. Good fuel pressure (60 lbs) Have fire - Sometimes when you start the car the dash lights do not work-have to take the ground off the battery and back on and lights will come back on. NO security light is staying on-It shows up when you first turn the key on but goes off along with all the other lights. I did replace the ignition switch (has new keys) and still exact same issue
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. Check for any corrosion at the battery cable connections as well as leading from the battery to where the cables run and connect to.If there are any connection issues these will need repaired to correct this fault here.If this is or was already checked and found to be o.k. let me know. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your help. Yes all battery connections have been checked as well. The part we did replace was the ignition with the new keys-I have not replaced the igntion starter switch which maybe I should have along with the new ignition lock cylinder
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello?? Anyone that could help would be appreciated
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
I apologize for the delay. The electronic ignition switch (the part the ignition cylinder attaches to) does fail commonly on this model here and will cause the issue you have described.I have had to replace this switch on this model several times before in the past for the issues here.I thought when you posted above that the switch was replaced that this was the component that was replaced but it looks like only the ignition cylinder was replaced.I would replace the ignition switch itself to see if it resolves this issue here as it should. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Replaced both now and still doing the same thing. Dash lights once u put the ground on battery come on but after a few tries of starting the vehicle with no luck the dash lights go back out until we take the ground off the battery and put back on
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Did you follow the battery cables to where they lead to to make sure they are all o.k. as well as the fuse panel connections from the main battery feed into the fuse panels?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
all appears good...have cleaned everything I can think of.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Body control module has water in it. PossiblE problem
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
the main cause is the passenger vent on the dash can get water in it from the window being down during rain and this vent tube runs right above the BCM and causes the water issue in the BCM over time.The BCM does sound to be the cause here with it needing replaced and programmed to correct this issue here. Thanks Pete