Pete, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  17 years Oldsmobile training and experience.

Oldsmobile Alero: I have a 2001 alero that is shutting down

Customer Question

I have a 2001 alero that is shutting down while driving, won't start sometimes, security light comes on and stays on while driving , and various dash lights come on with every turn of the key. Most times I must turn the key to the on position and let it sit anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple of minutes until I hear the fuel pump engage. Also a few times I have come out to my car to find the radio still on with no keys in the ignition and in the off position long after the car was parked. My key has a lot of movement when in any position in the ignition, and was wondering if the ignition needs replacement, or if it is a pass lock issue, or if my ecm may be bad. I have the 2.4 with 145,000 miles on it
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. With what you have described here this sounds like the common failure of the electronic ignition switch itself.I have seen the ignition switch fail on this model several times in the past before needing replaced for this issue here.This was a common fault on this model and is a fairly extensive procedure to have replaced due to all of the components needing removed.This will cause the security light issue,the intermittent wait time to start as well as other electrical issues.The cost from a dealer on this is $211 for the switch and 1.8 hours labor to have replaced. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete