Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Olds Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Olds Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

Owner of an 2004 alero Oldsmobile. What the normal

Customer Question

Hello I'm Rosetta. Owner of an 2004 alero Oldsmobile. What the normal temperature for my car? Do it supposed to be passed the middle line? How often do I have to keep water in my car???
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.

Does this vehicle have the 4-cylinder or 6-cylinder engine?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
6
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.

Great, thanks!

Ok, the "normal" operating temp for this vehicle is around 195 degrees or so (give or take a few degrees is ok). So, no, the gauge should not normally go above the middle line.

You should not have to keep adding water/coolant to the vehicle at any time. The system should be sealed and there should be no "burn off". If you are having to keep adding water/coolant, then there is a leak somewhere. Unfortunately, these 3.4L 6-cylinder engines were very well known for having head gasket problems. At this point a cooling system pressure test should be done. This is where a tool is installed onto the cooling system and then pressure is pumped into the system. If the gauge on the tool does not hold steady, there is a leak somewhere. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work.
Please rate or accept so I may be credited.
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.

..