Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Name is ***** *****.... I am at a stomp on an older olds

Customer Question

hello Name is ***** *****.... I am at a stomp on an older olds that I'm trying to Diagnose.... 1989 cutlass V6 3.3 no start condition.... I have spark and fuel at the rail... also have injection noid lite at all injectors... but if I spray fuel down the manifold manually it runs as long as I keep feeding it??
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: sure.. Ive checked or replaced Ign. Mod. crank sensor,oil sensor fuel relay switch and confirmed I have 47 psi of fuel at all times
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Oldsmobile Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 9 months ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

According to what you state on your post, the only thing that would prevent that engine from starting on its own would be a clogged fuel rail or injectors. So, my man, yank that rail out of there and take a good look at it - worst case I've seen had rust inside the tube due to bad gas; ended up replacing the rail and all injectors.

Hope yours is not that bad. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
morning Juan thanks for the reply... Here s a test that I did about a poss. clogged rail..... I disconnected the return line from the rail and powered up the fuel pump.....fuel does come out at a good volume with great flow??? dont see if that would be any sign of clogged ? or am I missing something? Jeff

No, sir. You're not missing anything :-) That test confirms the problem not to be caused by a plugged or restricted rail. Next test would be to disable the ignition system, then pull the rail up a bit so it's still connected and so are the six injectors still attached to it. Have a helper turn the key to START while you watch the injector nozzles. Does any fuel come out?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just did that and all 6 injector squirt fuel out.... also I had my spark tester on the side and watching the spark it is there....? Its just not making any sense now??? Jeff

Ahhh... I'm sorry I got caught in the details and didn't think about the basics. We need to pull one of the valve covers and check for excessive timing chain play. Turn the crank pulley by hand clockwise until you see one the rockers starting to move. Mark that spot on the pulley. Then watch that same rocker as you turn the crank counterclockwise. Stop turning and mark the crank pulley as soon as you see the rocker move. Now look at the two marks on the pulley. If they're more than 5 degrees apart, the chain needs to be replaced.

Let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Your forgetting that it runs fine when Im manually spraying fuel in the manifold..... so cant be a timing issue??? One of my first basic test was compression test all good! This vehicle only has 94K on it.. Jeff
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
All my test also confirms that The ECM is working property....or is it?

My friend, if there is spark and injector pulse, and the Check Engine Light comes on when you first turn the ignition on and then goes off, then that ECM is working as it should. Do you know how to retrieve codes shorting terminals A and B on the ALDL connector? If so, can you do that just for @#$%s and giggles?

If neither the ECM nor the timing chain turn out to be the cause of the no-start, then we're back to injection. You mention the injectors were "squirting" fuel. So, knowing they're supposed to spray a fine mist, could that be it? Do the plugs get wet when you try to start the engine? Is there good gas in the tank?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
well now this will completely blow your mind on this diagnose....after I last talked to ya the vehicle sat for about 3 hours and just tried to fire it up and now runs on it own at idle only thou! as soon as I give it throttle it dies...but then it will re start every time with out me manually feeding fuel???? What the hell man???? Jeff

OK. That would bring us back to either the injectors not spraying correctly or not being kept open long enough by the ECM or the system not getting enough fuel pressure.

What happened to you getting me those codes? or telling me whether or not the plugs were getting wet? or if there was or not good gas in the tank?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the fuel pressure is good ,maintains a steady 44psi ..weather i use the vehicles fuel pump or my motor vac machine!! which means my fuel is good!! I agree with the fact that it has to do with injector drive on the pulse with..... No codes and when motor is at idle... no check engine lite! Does the prom chip in the ECM has anything to regulate the injector driver? I ll hit you up in the morning on this Thanks Jeff

I'm usually online after lunch Atlantic Standard Time. Catch up with you then.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Juan I found the no start condition on this olds 3.3L(thought you should know) my scanner showed no codes and all components normal readings it turns out to be the TPS switch ..... I started just unplugging wire harness to components and when i got to the TPS it started ??? Never had that happen before on these system.... Although the scanner readings are good on the TPS circuit I replaced it for shits and giggles...and runs normal!!! GO FIGURE?? But it did drive me up the wall!!! Damm Olds.

I'm glad you have that Olds started.

Best Regards.