Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Oldsmobile Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I have a 2002 olds intrigue that stalled when I blew a fuse

Customer Question

I have a 2002 olds intrigue that stalled when I blew a fuse by accidentally grounding out the front turn signal circuit when motor was running. I checked all the fuses and all seem to be fine. it won't crank but all dash lights seem to be energizing.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Joe Prestia replied 11 months ago.

Do you have access to a test light or a volt meter. Have you tried swapping the relay with another?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do. I haven't thought about the relays yet mainly because its been negative temperatures and I don't have a garage. What relay should I target?

Relays number 11 and 12 are crank and ignition main relays. Try switching them with 9 and 10 (cooling fans) and see if there is any change in symptoms.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The car is at my office and I will check it out tomorrow morning.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I swapped the relays. My owners manual showed the ignition and crank were different numbers but I swapped them and it didn't make a difference. I am going to grab my test light to see if all relays are getting energized.

Alright. Let me know what you come up with!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have attempted to reply for a few days. This is getting frustrating! Anyway, The test light is showing all circuits are energized in the under hood fuse box. The crank and ign relays are hot at pin 30 and 86. There are a few fuses that are fuel pump and ign related that are showing (-) as I believe they won't be energized until vehicle is running but not sure.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am wondering if I can jump on the crank relay to see if starter bumps

Jumping the crank relay will engage the starter if the trigger wire to it (the small one) is good and the starter is good. If you jump the relay and the starter does not engage then we need to see if power is getting to the starter on the small wire. It should have 12 volts at all times on the bigger cable. Let me know how it goes!