Amedee
Amedee, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 1996 Ciera 3.1L that reports P0171 as a code. It

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Ciera 3.1L that reports P0171 as a code. It also hunts at idle (faster-slower) unless you hold a small amount of throttle. The code sometimes disappears for a while but always comes back. One time it also reported P0300 misfire. I have cleaned the MAS, checked the IAT (reads 2400 ohms at 65 degrees), checked the level from the oxygen sensor (reports from .350 to .450 on the OBDII reader). I have noticed a slight decrease in fuel economy but that might be because of holding a slight throttle at traffic lights. What have I missed / what to check next?
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. This condition is caused by an air or a vacuum leak. Look close by the intake and throttle body gaskets as well as all of the vacuum hoses/lines. I bet you will find a leak. Just be sure that the fuel pressure regulator is not leaking.