Randall
Randall, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, Shop owner, foreign/domestic exp 32 years
13677702

Reading a string about a 1991 olds cutlass supreme 3.1

Customer Question

Customer: Reading a string about a 1991 olds cutlass supreme 3.1 stalling and cutting out on acceleration. In the exchange, the cps was replaced and ignition module mentioned. If possible I would like to know what the final solution was as I have, what appears to be the identical situation.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: stalls or chokes hard. Sometimes will not start others runs perfect. Replaced MAP, Idle control valve, fuel filter & others fuel pressure consistent 50lbs gotta learn not to hit {Enter} I guess.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Oldsmobile Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Most times when we help a customer, we dont hear back as to how the repair went,we can only send suggests as to the problem, Not being there or more indepth or lack of makes things like this tricky, Going by your description and what we used to see in the shop on this engne, you may very possibly have a bad crank sensor, They dont always just fail,. They can be affected by engine temps and so on,In the shop if all else has been ruled out., we go and change the crank sensor, The module? well it works hand in hand with the crank sensor and at times we will replace both at same time. Seems like fuel pressure ok, you ruled out other possibles so,, I lean to crank sensor and/or ignition module on yours, Very common failure items, Have replaced many over the years

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Much appreciate, I have already purchased one & was getting ready. Figured I'd save the effort if it had not worked for others.
I WILL update this with either result.
Thanks,
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** my service provided,. Rating my service today does NOT close this post, you can still come back to this post at anytime after rating, Many thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced CPS, no difference. Temperature does not appear to be a factor as we've had ample opportunity to test that lately.
Drove to work & back fine. This morning will start and immediately stall. (multiple attempts). Thoughts on what's next?
IF I view it correctly, ECM and ignition module?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Next step? fuel pressure reading, I have to work off specs etc, if no guage?> many parts stores will rent on, I have to see fuel pressure when running, then after sitting etc, I am not there, nor doing in depth testing so I can only go off symtoms and what needs to be done next etc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a fuel pressure gauge and measured it at 50 psi. Only slight variation when accelerating or just opening throttle quickly.
Sometimes (e.g., yesterday) it runs perfectly. When it's running well it's so smooth you can't feel it running. I've tapped on pcv & everything else I can think of.
I realize this is not a simple one & appreciate any ideas
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I will put some thought into it tonight and reply in the am

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car still sits in driveway, I'm guessing we're out of Ideas here?
Found a thread where someone recommended a "TCC" sensor, does that make any sense?
Car now consistently starts and immediately stalls