Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

I have a 1994 Oldsmobile cutlass supreme with a 3.1 motor

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Oldsmobile cutlass supreme with a 3.1 motor and while I'm driving at steady speeds it seems to be ok, but as i start up a incline it wants to surge until i give it more gas, and if you start out at full throttle from a stand still it will hesitate, but other than that it drives fine, it only does it from full throttle or up a steep incline,
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using the site. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

You will want to check the fuel pressure and flow to see if either one are too low.

..

FUEL PRESSURE:

Ignition ON Engine OFF40.5 to 47.0 psi

With Regulator Vacuum Applied [1]3.0 - 10.0 psi Less than Ignition ON Engine OFF

Then if the fuel pressure and flow are good, the exhaust may be a little bit restricted. You can have a back pressure test done on it at most exhaust shops to see if the cat is clogged.

.

.

If they are both ok, then you will want to take a sample of the fuel to be sure that it’s not contaminated.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How can I rate a mechanic without having the work done, the Chevrolet dealer says it will be the throttle sensor or the crank sensor, they had nothing to say about the fuel pressure, plus at a rate of 65 dollars an hour to change the sensors I was wanting to be sure that they wasn't just wanting to start putting parts on my car at a rate of 65 dollars an hour
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.

As far as I know, the dealerships are not dependent on a rating to get paid and they will charge indefinitely whether the problem is fixed or not. No vehicle with any type of performance issue(s) can be properly diagnosed without knowing what the fuel pressure is, unless of course there are trouble codes in the OBD1 system that lead to a particular part and that even has to be confirmed with testing, thanks

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 10 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Do you have a scan tool with DATA? The TPS and crank sensor are pretty easy to test. I doubt they are your problem