Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Oldsmobile Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

My 1991 Oldmobile Ciera has a strange issue. So far i have

Customer Question

My 1991 Oldmobile Ciera has a strange issue. So far i have replaced the mass air flow,plugs,ignition module,crank sensor,plug wires.I cant find any vacumme leaks.Had a ticking noise that varied on rear valve cover remove to inspect the only thing that i see in the plate that aligns the push tubes has shined up a couple of the tubes.It almost quivers at idle cold or warm but if you drive it there are times that acceleration is fine then when you let your foot out of it it will shutter. Compression was 175 psi plugs out full throttle.Fuel pressure was constent at 45 psi
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thank you for posting your question!

I’m a retired master technician and tech instructor, so I’m pretty sure we can solve your issue together. However, before we start I need you to please consider the following facts:

- I do not know your skill level or what tools you have

- It may take a few back and forth replies to solve the issue

- There will probably be some tools and equipment needed for a proper diagnosis

Please let me know right away if you don’t have any mechanical skills or test equipment.

An issue such as you describe would need to be diagnosed with a scope so we could see what's happening with both spark and vacuum in real time. Do you have access to such a scope?