Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

I have a 95 cutless supreme. After 8 mo. Storage I found it

Customer Question

I have a 95 cutless supreme. After 8 mo. Storage I found it with dead battery. Upon connecting charger, the hazard lights blinked and a chime sound inside. The hazzard switched wouldn't stop this. I roomed the hazard fuse and no chandelier. I replaced the battery (bad cell) reconnected and same results... Hazard lights/chime but nothing else... No horn no start no lights nothing... I'open for suggestions... Thanks. JD
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating.

Do you have a test light? It will be necessary to proceed. If you dont have 1 I will be glad to opt out and see if another expert can help.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No. Not at this location. I can pick one up at the auto store but I'll be gone awhile. Do you think the hazard mod failed and drained the battery while it set?

I would more suspicious that you have a melted or chewed wire in the steering column.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That makes sense Sam. I will go and pick up a test light if the part store is open. Are we on the clock here?

No just reply

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay Sam.. I went out and picked up a test light, so I,m on board with this. Due to commitment I won't be able to start until tomorrow morning but if you can send me a "get started list" of checks to make I'll get back after I get them done. Again, the only thing elec that works in the hazards lights and a in cab chime.. Thanks for your guidance
'

OK Start under the hood at the electrical center on the left (drivers) Side. Check all MAXI Fuses (the big ones. With your test light they should have power on both sides. If they dont have power turn the key on. MAke a list of fuses that have no power or just power to one side.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
At the driver side 3 maxi fuses (1-60a 2-40a). Test hot both side / key off -key on.... FYI. Last summer I had the power windows (all) open a couple of times when I drove across RR tracks. Intermittent hasn't happened in a while. Might be a factor? What next?

OK. Go to ignition switch.

The red wire hot all time

Red wire with white stripe hot all time

orange key on

pink key on

brown key on

Yellow should have power in crank position

Let me know your results

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Give me some idea where to test this please. Under dash? Pull switch ? Fuse block?

under dash at base of column

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks

let me know results

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am having trouble locating any connection with all the color wires you suggested at the steering column or any where else. I removed the.kick plate under the dash for better look see but not really seeing the switch connection you suggest. Not your fault. I know it's there somewhere. Still looking!

It will be on the top of the steering column shaft. You may have to drop column down to locate and test.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks... I 'll let you know

ok

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think I found the wires but haven't figured out how to test the contacts because there snapped into a connector and I don't see where to touch the probe like the maxi fuses. Maybe this is something I shouldn't be doing
.

Did you drop the column? It will make it much easier.

What is your expertise level? This is the easy stuff it only gets more complicated from here. If you are not comfortable now maybe you should look for a local shop to fix this for you.

Let me know what you decide.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll stay with it for awhile. I have to leave now, back at it tomorrow

ok

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
couldn't work on checking today. Hopefully I can get a couple of hours in tomorrow.

ok