Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I am an ASE Certified Master Technician and auto repair specialist with over 16 years of Oldsmobile experience.
1627031

Webster I have a 2001 Aurora V8 very low mileage with a slow

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** Webster I have a 2001 Aurora V8 very low mileage with a slow oil leak the dealer recommends replacing the oil pan gasket is there an additive compatible with the gasket since replacing seems very involved.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The car is very low mileage with 58,000 the dealer has diagnosed a cracked oil pan gasket and cost is prohibitive at this time since the car sees less than 100 miles a week the cost is questionable. I want to retain this car but repair cost is half the blue book value.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Oldsmobile Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: $18 would be reasonable, not more.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. If the oil pan gasket is leaking then it needs to be replaced. There are some over the counter oil additives that you can add to the oil that will condition and swell the seals and it can slow the leak. This is a bandage though and will not last long if it works. Typically I recommend trying to tighten the bolts first and see if it helps. If it does not then it needs to be replaced. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.