George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified and dealer trained 15+ years
13574682

I have a 71 cutlass with drum brakes all the way around. THe

Customer Question

I have a 71 cutlass with drum brakes all the way around. THe front brakes were pulling sharply. I replaced all the brakes, hardware and wheel cylinders. It still pulls when I hit the brakes very hard. The only thing I can think is the distribution block or proportioning valve. It has the original one mounted on the frame beneath the master cylinder. Sound right or am I off base?
Thanks
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  George H. replied 11 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

No, the prop valve should not cause it to pull. It could cause poor brake function or nosediving when applied but not pull.

You need to be sure you have tight wheel bearings, tie rods, control arm bushings, idler arm, in other words if the brakes are applying evenly then loose steering or suspension parts may be allowing enough movement of the wheels to cause a pull.

Are all the suspension and steering parts tight and without play or is there slop that needs to be addressed?

Are all the brakes adjusted tight to the drums with a little drag? Did they all bleed out with no problems?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They bled easily the car sat for a couple of months. Prior to that it didn't pull at all

So are all the joints in the steering and the wheel bearings tight? Even a little play (bearing should have just a little) and it can cause a pull.

Were the brakes done before or after it sat?

You posted that the front brakes were pulling sharply then you replaced the brakes. Did you do all 4?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I did the brakes after it sat. I don't know if the steering etc is tight or not. Wheel has no play. Drives great

OK, you need to check the bearings steering joints and control arm bushings.

Raise one wheel and hold the tire at 6 and 9 and move it back and forth while a helper wraps their hand around each joint in the steering linkage, if you feel play in the joint it needs to be replaced.

Grab the tire at 12 and 6 and wobble it, you should have just the slighest amount of play in the bearing.

Put both wheels on the ground and have a helper rock the steering wheel back and forth about 3 inches with the engine off. Look at the linkage and idler arm for play and movement.

I think you will find something in the front that is loose.

Last check that each brake applys when your helper just depresses the pedal an inch or two engine off. Pump the pedal 20 times before you do this but you will need all 4 wheels raised to check this. Have them press the pedal and hold it in position while you try to spin each wheel forward.

Let me know what you find

Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will do. Thanks much

I am here most of the time so post back when you get a chance to check it out.

Thanks