rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

2001 olds intrigue idles good and engine dies whenever, even

Customer Question

2001 olds intrigue idles good and engine dies whenever, even going down the road, cam and crank sensor codes and replaced both then o2 sensor code came up, haven't replaced yet , fuel pump? Fuel filter?
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Codes that set do not mean to replace the part, there can be issues with wiring or a computer too, not just a possible bad part. Diagnostics need to be done to confirm a problem. You do need to test the fuel pressure and volume with a gauge though to see where you're at there.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I didn't see an answer
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

If you choose to replace all those parts, that's up to you. I'm giving you the possibilities that can cause the problem without spending money on parts you don't need. You very well may need them, but wouldn't you want to test a few things first to be sure, such as the fuel pressure and volume?

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need more help.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have already replaced the cam ank crank sensors
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Fuel pressure is #38
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

There's your problem, it pressure needs to be from 41-47. Good job.

Please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Wouldn't there be a fuel pump code then?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

No, the problem is a bad fuel pump. 38 PSI is way too low.

Thanks again, Ron