Amedee
Amedee, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 2001 oldsmobile silouette van. it has 3.4 v6.

Customer Question

i have a 2001 oldsmobile silouette van. it has 3.4 v6. apparently the dexcool as mixed with somethign else and now it is sludgy. I am wondering the best way to flush out this system and do I need to use an additive in flushing. also the heat is working
intermittently. Could this be related?
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. YES, these two issues are related. If there is oil mixing with the coolant, then chances are youn have a bad intake gasket or cylinder head gasket and it will need to be fixed/replaced. If there is no oil in the coolant, you can drain the coolant, flush the remainder out using a hose and then fill it back up with the proper mix dexcool and water and that will do the trick. Keep in mind, you will have to bleed the air out of the system before the heat will start working properly.

Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Air pockets in the cooling system take up space but do not transfer the heat from the engine to the heater core thus the no heat issue you are expeirencing. I bet if you bleed out the air pockets and topped off the cooling system the heat would start to work again.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
how do i check for oil in the coolant
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

But if the coolant is mixing with oil that needs to be addressed. Also, be sure to check the thermostat as well. You might want to replace it since it will most likley be sludged up. All you need to do is look at the oil. If it looks like a vanilla shake, then that means there is oil mixing with the coolant.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
oh the oil looks clean. i thought you said oil in coolant.
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Sorry, I may have.. I meant to say coolant in the oil.

Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

You can look at the coolant as well to see if it is discoloured.

Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Sometimes you will see oil drops floating on top of the coolant. That is a good sign of oil in the coolant.

Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

I will say that intake gaskets go bad on these engines all of the time.. so it might just need an intake manifold gasket rather than a cylinder head gasket.

Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Does that make sense?

Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Did you have any further questions?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i am guessing someone just put in an incompatible coolant. so i am hoping to just flush it.
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Mee too! That would be the easiest fix. Drain it, flush and fill it! Just be sure to do the correct water coolant mix and then bleed out the air pockets and you will be good to go!

Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

I am glad I can help! Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today. It has been a pleasure working with you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
can i use a universal green or blue coolant? I am not a fan of dexcool personally
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

YES, there are univeral coolants out there you can use. Just be sure to read the lables before putting it in so that you know it is compatible