toddwr007
toddwr007, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have over 35 years experience in the automotive field, Master ASE certified, GM Certified Master Technician
24034660

I am revisiting an issue that came up 6 years ago. I have a

Customer Question

I am revisiting an issue that came up 6 years ago. I have a 2002 alero that has a problem. Occasionally while I am driving the doors unlock and the engine dies. I can put it in neutral and restart it and then back to drive and continue on, but obviously this is a major issue. I have had it in the shop for about 5 weeks and they were unable to find the cause. I know its an electrical problem, but there are no codes being generated. Any suggestions?
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  toddwr007 replied 1 year ago.

Hello: the problem you are having is a somewhat common issue,What is happening is the electrcial part of the ignition switch gets worn and then looses contact, causing the engine to die and door locks to unlock (vehicle thinks you have turned off the key, so it turns off engine and the auto locks unlock, You need to replace the Ignition switch, Thanks,Please let me know if I can be of any other assistance to you with this issue!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ignition switch has been replaced.
Expert:  toddwr007 replied 1 year ago.

The electrial part of the ignition switch, not the cylinder part of the switch,(also inspect the ternimals that connect to the electrial switch, they are prone to becoming loose causing a bad connection) in many cases they can become burnt connections due to high resistance, Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had this vehicle at Ken Towery's for about 3 weeks. I called them today and they confirmed that the entire switch was replaced. They also replaced the computer, ignition control module, egr valve, oil pressure switch, cam sensor, and a few other things. There were other issues, but this one is the only one left. I have told them I was going to give another shop a chance, but wanted to try this avenue first.
Expert:  toddwr007 replied 1 year ago.

This truly sounds like a connection issue (wiring connections)Like back of ignition switch,or at the bulk head (this is the connection that connects from inside of vehicle to the underhood side, There is a large bulk connector that can have a intermittent connection) This is located near the firewall under steering column, Thanks