GM Tech Cam
GM Tech Cam, Oldsmobile Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years Automotive experience all with Gm.
10949255

My 2001 olds driver window not working neither gas

Customer Question

My 2001 olds driver window not working neither gas cover,trunk release, electric mirrors, etc
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  GM Tech Cam replied 1 year ago.

hi there, I am Cam. Can you confirm that these are all functions in the same assembly or that they all failed at the same time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Failed at the same time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Other Windows work fine and door locks. Would the valet button have any thing to do with the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No broken wires, fuses ok ground fine front and back.

Lets check the DRV MDL fuse in the fuse block in the rear under the seat. This powers the drivers door module and controls those items.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will check in morning. I am working tonight. Will get back to ya.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuse ok

Ok, are you able to get to the drivers door module in the drivers door and check the wiring for power and ground? There are 2 orange wires that should have power, 1 black and one black white that need ground. These are the power and ground to the drivers door module.

In left front door behind the trim panel in the upper right corner of the door

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
two small orange wire side by side 1st has power and 2nd no power. There is a larger orange wire on another connection to the module that has power

Large orange wire has no power. Correct? That large where is fed by the power seat circuit breaker in the rear fuse block. IF that has power, then we need to look for a broken wire in the door boot to the door from the body. Without power to that wire, the module won’t operate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the large orange wire has power. The second orange wire had no power on another connection to the door module.

The smaller one does not, that gets its power from the DRV MDL fuse, same issue, broken wires.

As a test, if you jump power from one orange to the other, do those items start working again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I din't have the plug into the module when I was testing. They all got power 2 small orange and one large orange

And do the items operate then with it plugged in now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No

Ok do you see evidence of water intrusion into that switch, wiring or the door module? With the wiring in tact I am thinking the door switch or the door module is faulty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Door module has a sm crack in the back. No water visible. 1/4 inch crack. I disconnected it from the door and found the small crack in the back. ??

Crack is not good. It suggests damage and may carry through to the circuit board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much for a new door module or used

That I don't have access to the GM parts catalogue, but according to online sources, I am seeing used for about 50$.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Used door module installed today 12/10 and still no go. I have no power going to the door lock button. Should there be power in the orange wire. The door switch u talk about above is that the lock and unlock button.

Can I get your Vin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1G3GR64H114125235

Ok so you have no power going to the switch, that should get its power from the orange going through the module. Since they share the same circuit number, you can splice power from the smaller orange wire going into the module in Pin A8 to the orange going to the switch assembly and see if function is restored.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I even swapped switch from pas side and no go.

Lets back up. Do you have power on both orange wires and ground on the thick black and the black white wire?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Power to 3 orange wire no power to and black or black white wires

ground to the black wires.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Black wires going to the module no power!

The black wires need ground not power. If there is no ground then the module will not work. Can you see if those have a ground, even consider splicing them a new ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I spiced the big black wire, took the test light and hook the ground end to it and hit a hot wire and had juice

Ok so ground is solid. Lets work through this document, it’s the diagnosis for this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Need help doing it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also got to leave for work. I tore the tape off everthing hunting for broken wires. Found none. Even between door.

The scan tool may slow us down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still not working.

What did you find for each step?