Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Oldsmobile Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

99 bravada is burning up alternators

Customer Question

99 bravada is burning up alternators
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 1 year ago.

were are you getting the alternators? And have you replaced the battery along with it, you could have a dead cell or weak cell which would cause the alternator to go into full field. Does your gauge work properly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Autozone, lifetime guarantees. New battery, less than 12 hours old. Gauge is reading what the digital multimeter is reading, which is also what the analog meter is reading, which is what the Autozone tester is reading.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This answer was not worth $30.00. How do I get a refund?

Sir hold on I have yet to begin to hep you, please I can help you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, Reggie. I want to give you a chance. I tend to get upset when an answer has misspellings in it. The last alternator that I installed lasted about 5 minutes. The ammeter that I put in line read no alternator output. It was a known good ammeter. I am not certain about whether the computer has anything to do with the charging system on this vehicle and wonder if there might be a problem there. In the fifty years of fixing charging systems in cars, trucks, and motorcycles, I have not had a problem like this. All connections have been cleaned of all corrosion. The heavy wire between alternator and battery reads less than 1 ohm resistance. The serpentine belt is good, practically new. The belt tensioner is properly tensioning. Please point me in some reasonable direction.

I am sorry I know you are frustrated, believe me I am on your team

Okay first off no the computer has nothing to do with the charging system on your vehicle. Forgive me if I ask to many questions, I know you have a new battery and all wiring has checked out, let me ask the alternator plug does it have one wire or two, and if one what is the voltage key on that wire

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 wire. voltage key unknown.

I am entering your problem into a database of known good repairs, give me about 5 minutes

Okay I found it you need to make some changes in the wiring to the alternator

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What changes are you suggesting?

There is a technical service bulletin released by general motors concerning this very issue. The parts store has a replacement connector for your alternator one that will have all four wires in it

You have got to add a wire to terminal d and run that wire to the battery stud on back of alternator

This is a battery sense wire. Hold on I am acquiring a copy of the bulletin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a part number for the connector?

No sir they do not list a part number because general motors instructions call for you to add a terminal to the connector, But the parts house will have a new connector with 4 wires in it, if you like I could see if I can find a part number through our parts suppliers

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A copy of that service bulletin would be nice. Thanks.

okay sir I am working on that

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery/batteries.
  2. Slide the protective boot on the generator BAT terminal aside and remove the retainer and wire cable from the BAT terminal.
  3. Unplug the generator 4-cavity terminal from the top of the generator.
  4. Inspect cavity D on the generator connector for a red cavity plug. If a red cavity plug is present, it is not necessary to replace the generator connector. Remove the CPA and save. Remove the red cavity plug and continue with step 9. If a red cavity plug is NOT present, continue with the next step.
  5. Remove and save the orange Weatherpack seal and CPA from the 4-way connector.
  6. Using the proper terminal removal tool, remove the two or three wires from the 4-way connector. On vehicles without Supplemental Brake Assist (SBA), install a red cavity plug, P/N 12059168, into cavity "A" of the new 4-way connector, P/N 12186568. On some 2003 and 2004 model year vehicles with SBA, install the dark blue (Circuit 5668) wire of the vehicle wiring harness into cavity "A" of the new 4-way connector.
  7. Depending on the vehicles model and year, install the brown wire (Circuit 25) or red wire (Circuit 225) of the vehicles wiring harness into cavity "B" of the new 4-way connector.
  8. Install the gray (Circuit 23) wire of the vehicle wiring harness into cavity "C" of the new 4-way connector.
  9. Obtain a piece of 0.80 mm/18GA black wire, 254 mm (8 in) long.
  10. Install a red terminal seal, P/N 12048086, and terminal, P/N 12048074, (crimp and solder) on one end of the new black wire.
  11. Install the new black wire into cavity "D" of the new 4-way connector.
  12. Reinstall the connector seal and CPA, from the original connector, to the new connector.
  13. Plug the 4-way connector into the generator.
  14. Route the black wire to the generator BAT terminal, sliding the wire into the small end to the output terminal boot, along side the generator output wire.
  15. Obtain a ring terminal from the terminal kit (J-38125-D) that is the same diameter as the positive post of the generator. Crimp and solder the ring terminal from the terminal kit (J-38125-D) on to the open end of the new black wire.
  16. Place the generator output wire and the new black wire onto the generator BAT terminal and install the retainer.
  17. Connect the negative battery cable.

Note: This modification will not work if the vehicle is utilizing the new "Regulated Voltage Control" system. This is new feature on some full-size trucks and utilities for the 2005 model year. Please inspect the vehicle prior to performing this modification.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Copyright General Motors Corporation.

Portions of materials contained herein are sourced from General Motors Inc., Co.

Copyright 2007 - 2015 Service Repair Solutions, Inc.

The bravada it seems had quite a few charging problems. Sir have I helped you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I'll see what I can do tomorrow on it and let you know. It is almost midnight here, and a little dark to be playing under the hood.

I understand, Please let me know how it works out, have i answered your question? your satisfaction is very important to me, goodnight and I will be waiting to hear from you.