K, Wiggins
K, Wiggins, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

I am replacing a broken headlight dimmer switch on a 1981

Customer Question

I am replacing a broken headlight dimmer switch on a 1981 olds cutlass. The switch is mounted on the steering column with two bolts. The first caqn be removed. The second is so deep I am having trouble removing. Doing so by feel as it is so deep I cannot see it. I am worried that once removed I wouldn't be able to find the bolt hole when I go to install the replacement. do I have to remove steering column to access? or is there other tricks to getting to this bolt.?
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  K, Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, you don't have to completely remove the column, just drop it from the mount. It's then much easier. I'll post the procedure below.

I. Disconnect battery ground cable.
2. Remove instrument panel lower trim and on models with A/C, remove A/C duct extension at
column.
3. Disconnect shift indicator from column and remove toe-plate cover screws.
4. Remove two nuts from instrument panel support bracket studs and lower steering column,
resting steering wheel on front seat.
5. Remove dimmer switch retaining screw and the switch. Tape actuator rod to column and
separate switch from rod. Two screws are used to retain dimmer switch to steering column.
6. Reverse procedure to install. To adjust switch, depress dimmer switch slightly and install a
3/32 inch twist drill to lock the switch to the body.
Force switch upward to remove lash between switch and pivot. Torque switch retaining screw to 35
inch lbs. and remove tape from actuator rod.
Remove twist drill and check for proper operation.

If you have any questions just reply back. If not, please take a moment to rate my service. Thanks!