Pete, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  17 years Oldsmobile training and experience.
14928985

95 Olds Cutlass Supreme stuck in park, brake light switch

Customer Question

95 Olds Cutlass Supreme stuck in park, brake light switch solenoid is suspect, cant get console out while in park. Can shifter be disengaged manually.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.

Most common to cause this is usually either the brake light switch itself above the brake pedal on a bracket.Usually you can tell this is the cause here if when you turn on the key press on the brake pedal and if no brake lights come on I suspect this brake light switch needs replaced.https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hxq7uufqprhlz3/sw-11-02.gif?dl=0.

If the brake lights do work then the BTSI solenoid on the shifter is most common to fail.In some cases if you can access under the shifter to this solenoid you can try and unplug it to release the shifter manually or try and pull on the plunger on this solenoid to release the vehicle from park.There may be a panel you can remove below the shifter knob to then gain access to this solenoid.If the solenoid needs replaced on some models the solenoid can be purchased separately and on other models the entire shifter has to be replaced.https://www.dropbox.com/s/2atpjbjgjblg8xm/sh-11-02.gif?dl=0.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.