Amedee
Amedee, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

MY 2003 Bravada will not start nor can I get the key out of

Customer Question

MY 2003 Bravada will not start nor can I get the key out of the ignition. Thought it might be the battery as the lights did not come on. need some help. thank you.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Do the dome lights work? What about the headlights?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

If so, then start by checking all fuses and wiring going to and from the ignition switch. You could have a bad ignition lock cylinder and key preventing the key from being removed from the lock cylinder. I also found this. It is a TSB about this problem that may apply related to this issue.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Document ID# *****
2003 GMC Truck Envoy - 4WD
No Park

No Park
Checks
Causes
Parking Lock Actuator Linkage (85-90)
• Actuator rod assembly bent or damaged
• Actuator rod spring binding or improperly crimped
• Actuator rod not attached to inside detent lever
• Parking lock bracket damaged or not torqued properly
• Inside detent lever not torqued properly
• Parking pawl binding or damaged
Document ID# *****
2003 GMC Truck Envoy - 4WD
Document ID#(###) ###-####
2003 GMC Truck Envoy - 4WD

Subject: Ignition Key Will Not Remove From Ignition Lock Cylinder (Reposition Shifter Boot) #05-07-30-021B - (10/04/2007)
Models: 2004-2007 Buick Rainier
2002-2008 Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models
2002-2008 GMC Envoy Models
2003-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada
This bulletin is being revised to include the 2008 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-07-30-021A (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).
Condition
Some customers may comment that they are unable to remove the ignition key from the ignition cylinder.
Cause
The shifter boot may be caught/trapped in the shifter assembly mechanism.
Correction
DO THIS
DON'T DO THIS
Reposition the shifter boot.
DO NOT replace the complete shifter assembly.
ONLY replace the shifter boot if damaged.
Inspect the shifter boot for being caught/trapped in the shifter assembly.
• If the shifter boot is NOT caught/trapped in the shift assembly, refer to Ignition Key Cannot Be Removed from the Ignition Lock Cylinder in SI.
• If the shifter boot IS caught/trapped in the shifter assembly, continue with the next step.
Important:
• DO NOT replace the complete shifter assembly for this condition.
• ONLY replace the shifter boot/handle if damaged by shifter assembly.
Reposition the shifter boot so that it is not caught/trapped in the shifter assembly.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Also, check to see if the gauges are working or not on the cluster when this happens. If not, you could have a bad instrument cluster or the instrument cluster may need to be updated/flashed with the latest software as per TSB #01-08-49-006

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I am glad I can help! Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" so I get credit for the time and knowledge that I have shared with you in a timely manner.

Best Regards

Amedee

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

You should see the rating system towards the bottom of the page.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you have any further questions?