Pete, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  17 years Oldsmobile training and experience.
14928985

I, 96 over real cutlass ciera runs fine yes sometimes

Customer Question

I, 96 over real cutlass ciera runs fine yes sometimes intermittently it stalls dies and won't start until it cools down.I changed fuel pump and red the codes it had one was ma's are sensor low input changed that and filter still had problem next code was misfire I changed sparkpak still have problem. Next code o3 sensor low in out have not changed that yet.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.

The most common cause for what you have described here that I have seen several times before on this model with the engine that is in it is the crank position sensor itself.This sensor reads the crank shaft position and sends this signal to the computer and ignition components.Over time and mileage this sensor becomes weak and loses signal intermittently causing either a stall out or no start or both until the vehicle has sat and cooled down a bit anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or more.

This sensor is located on the back of the engine block just above the engine oil pan as seen in the link below.It is held in place with one bolt and one electrical connection plugged into it.If this sensor has not been replaced I suspect it needs replaced due to the symptoms here.Codes can set when the sensor causes an engine stall out as this is a sudden stall out that causes other electronics to set fault codes.In allot of cases this sensor will not set a fault code for itself failing.The sensor itself is usually around or less then $50 at a local parts store.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im going to check that sensor and let you know
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good.Let me know what you come up with on this here when your ready.I suspect the sensor itself is the cause here needing replaced as this is most common.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car still when it is warmed up has been having the same problems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sending unit was replaced and still the same problems.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay as your response wasn't showing up for me until now.

Was the crank sensor replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was replaced with a new one.!
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Are any codes still setting for this issue here and if so what codes are they?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P0305 cyl. Misfire
P0171 syss.to lean bank 1
P0141 o2 sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor2
P0134 sensor circuit no activity bank 1 sensor1
P0102 mag low input.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Did you already replace the oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 1 yet or check the wiring to it to make sure it is all o.k.?