Pete, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  17 years Oldsmobile training and experience.
14928985

88 cutless ciera starts up no problem, but cuts off no

Customer Question

88 cutless ciera starts up no problem, but cuts off no issues with start up. What could this be?
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.I apologize for any delay.

The most common cause for this issue here is the crankshaft position sensor. The sensor sends the engine RPM signal to the computer and ignition components to allow the engine to start and run. The sensor is known to fail and cause intermittent stall outs and in some cases extended cranking before it will allow the vehicle to start again. If your model has 2.8 L V-6 the sensors located on the back side of the engine block just above the engine oil pan between the output shaft housing on the transmission. It is held in place with one bolt as seen in the diagram below. If this is the 2.5 L four-cylinder engine in this vehicle the crank sensor is located underneath the ignition module/coil assembly. The module and coil assembly need removed to then access the crank sensor to remove and replace it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.