Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  over 25 years as a GM master tech
19513769

2001 Olds Silhouette - Code P0135, Bank 1, Sensor 1, Circuit

Customer Question

2001 Olds Silhouette - Code P0135, Bank 1, Sensor 1, Circuit for O2 Heater
After replacing the O2 sensor and resetting the CEL, after the next restart the same code was tripped. Can you tell me what may be wrong and how to correct it? Also, this sensor harness connector is particularly difficult to get to, any suggestions about this also?
Doug
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

can you unplug that O2 sensor and turn the key ON and with a multi meter set to DC volts and see if the pink wire terminal in the engine side harness connector shows 12 volts ?

and if it does then see if the black wire terminal is a GOOD ground ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's barely possible to get the O2 pigtail plugged into the harness because it's pinched (maybe 2 to 3") between the manifold or block and the fire will), so Maybe, But I'm disabled and it will take me about an 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Will you still be available, or can you give me the next step if I don't get 12v or a good ground?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh, and BTW, getting to see the colors is additionally challenging because there is no direct line of sight, even with an inspection mirror.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes i will be available

if NO 12 volts check the fuse called IGN1 - UH a 15 amp fuse in the under hood junction fuse box and see if it is blown

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
btw, my laptop has been quirky lately. if it crashes or shuts down how do I get back to you in the IM session?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

sounds good

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think you missed my question... my laptop has been quirky lately. IF it crashes or shuts down HOW do I get back to you in the IM session?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

you will have to try to get to another computer

OR you can send a phone additional service to exchange phone numbers in case you can not get back online

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After I restart pc laptop, how will I be able to reconnect with you?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

book mark this page OR you should be getting emails stating to reply back to the expert which has a link to click on to get right back to this page

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, cool. thanks.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

anytime

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
although I am currently able to probe or even back probe the term connection, after examining the fuse, it was not burned out or even singed or brown... clean and bright. My son accidentally took BOTH of my multi-meters with him over the weekend and didn't return them yet. When I get them back, because of their location, is it possible to back probe the sensor side of the connector for any appropriate reading, and this O2 sensor has two grounds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry... unable... I hate auto spell correct.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes as long as it is testing the PINK wire

we need to see 12 volts with the key ON

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to be clear... it's ok to back probe the O2 side of the connection (plugged in) with the key in which: ACC, ON, or RUNNING?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes it is ok to back probe it there

just leave the ignition key ON and the engine OFF where all the dash lights are lit up but the engine is NOT at idle and is off

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not having probed it yet, but checking the fuse you indicated, it's in good shape. Anything else I can check for while I await the return of my meters?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

no there is not until you get the meter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Gary,
Sorry for my lack of contact for the past couple of days, it's been unpleasantly busy. My wife has cancer and she had to be at several doctor's/hospital appointment's in the last couple of days. I didn't want you to think I wasn't happy with your assistance. I am, so far. I just wish I had smaller hands to access the connector/harness. Anyway...
But I do, NOW, have my multimeter and will try to back probe the "pink contact" on the O2 sensor heater. Because of it' location, I can only see the sensor side of the connector, but no colors. Based on the image I've attached, and referencing(looking) it from the back, which and what is the "pink" wire that should show 12V compared a good ground and which and what is the "black" wire that should show 0v compared to a good ground?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the pink wire on the main engine harness connector side will have the pink wire on it in the connector

i can not tell which one

you need to test the other side of the connector

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK!!!!
Given that the car hasn't been driven/idled for more than 5 or 10 mins int he last two weeks and the O2 sensor is New and sensor disconnected from harness:
1. Engine Side "Pink," Heater 12v supply reading is 11.96v.
2. Engine Side "Black," Heater Ground reading is 0.01v
3. IGN1 - UH the 15 amp fuse is bright, shiny and in good condition
Using Haynes Repair Manual as a reference:
4. Heater Ground to Supply Resistance reading is 5.0 ohms, within spec.
... Any other suggestions, I hope???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate you taking your time, effort, and knowledge to try and help me solve my problem. You're a good man. Thanks.