Amedee
Amedee, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2001 Old's Alero has trouble starting and is idling bad My

Customer Question

2001 Old's Alero has trouble starting and is idling bad My car has problems starting and when it does finally start the rpm gauge revs up and down by itself when idling. We've already replaced the plugs and wires, the Idle Air Control Valve and the Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid. We are at a loss as to what can be causing it.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator? If not, this will be the next thing the check. Just remove the vacuum line going to the regulator and see if there is fuel in it.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

If so the regulator is bad will need to be replaced.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

The fuel pressure regulator is located on the fuel rail.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't tried that yet, we replaced the Idle Air control valve, the Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid, the Map sensor, plugs and wires and the PCV valve and still have the same problem. It starts hard and when it does, I sometime have to give it a little gas and then the RPM's are reving up and down by itself.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

YUP! A leaky fuel pressure regulator can in fact cause these issues.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?