Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Olds Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Olds Airora 2001 4.0. Car totally dead. When I hook battery

Customer Question

Olds Airora 2001 4.0. Car totally dead. When I hook battery charger to module in engine compartment all lights turn on - clicking sound . Battery 4 months old
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

We can solve this pretty easy if you have a volt meter to test with. Let me know please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi VM - I do have volt meter. But won't be back to the auto until tomorrow night or we can do monday

Thanks,

Probably tomarrow night is best but i should be around in the morning on monday,just reply right back here and i get an email.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's the back story. The car is in storage and every time I come home, it does not start. Usually security message is reason, I replaced battery 4 months ago. When I don't have the battery charger connected. Car is totally dead, nothing comes on. When I connected battery charger. Everything comes on. The DIS cycles through every message. There is a humming noise. If you can give me line item instructions, I can get to it immediately, in case you are not available. Thanks in advance

Hi, as with all electrical issues there is a protocal so to speak and it all starts with us knowing the voltage being delivered to the battery when engine is running. Every 12 volt car made has to have 14-15 volts showing at the battery when the engine is running. This will tell us if its charging ok because of all the electronics in the car, it is VERY specific to what voltage is required while running.

So, let me know the charging voltage.

If the voltage is good, then i would suspect what is called a parasitic draw that is draining the battery when it sits. There are certain computer modules that are supposed to "time out" after a specific amount of time. We will get into that if the charging system shows 14-15 volts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am available
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot start - so can't test when running

Hi, sorry i missed you. If it wont start connect the volt meter and see what the voltage is when you hold the key to start position. If it drops below about 10 volts, the battery will need charged or replaced. Then once it starts, it has to be charging 14-15 volts and if its not, replace the alternator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I was able to start my car this AM and took it to the mechanic, since i did not hear from you. I even did the call option last night. So I am willing to pay the first $5.00 + $5.00 for your email responses. Since you did not provide a solution, I do not feel I should pay the $45.00 amount that is billed on my credit card. Thank you for your time

Hello, i am really sorry but i never received the phone call request. I had an an emergency to tend to and was away from my computer. Once again i'm truly sorry and hope that i can help you again sometime. You can simply use the refund option under the help link at the bottom of the page.

LJ