Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years in the Auto repair business
7276279

1995 Olds88 just began having an issue that it starts, runs

Customer Question

1995 Olds88 just began having an issue that it starts , runs for 30-60seconds then dies. Only significant clue is my daughter remembers hitting a deep pothole (allegedly at slow speed) about a day before this symptom began. Check engine light goes on and most all other lights go on when car dies.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

When the engine stall can you check and see if you are loosing spark to the spark plugs as well as injector pulse and fuel pressure, I would also scan the computer system and see if there are any fault codes setting. If you can check these thing for me and post back with the results I will try and help you get this resolved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately the long delay caused me to have the car towed to a mechanic so I no longer need any assistance for this issue
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem, sorry for the delay and thank you as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mechanic found a code of P0321. He said there are many possibilities. However the car is running fine. I had him change the PC valve and gas cap as those 2 were inexpensive and likely needed to be done eventually. The car is still running fine but we are nervous that it will start acting up again any time. Can you think of a intermittent failure that we can be watching for?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The code P0321 can be set by any of the following,

• Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor
  • Ground
  • Power
  • Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
  • Wiring

In order to determine which he is going to need to do some testing. If its running okay now then you may want to wait till the problem returns. Let me know and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are the latest symptoms.. The car has basically been starting and running "most" of the time.My daughter did experience the engine start to die with all dashboard lights flashing- she immediately/quickly shifted into drive at which point the engine began running smoother and she had no further issues. The car starts & runs fine since then with no codes being set..If you can help me narrow the issue down to just one or two solutions, I am happy to pay you. Thanks!