Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  over 25 years as a GM master tech
19513769

My 1994 olds 88 will not go in reverse it has only first

Customer Question

my 1994 olds 88 will not go in reverse it has only first gear. if put in drive it will go to about twenty miles an hour and drop out of gear . the only gear that will not drop is first. also there is no reverse. this all happened when i tried to pass someone, but could not.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

anytime these loose reverse and the fluid is full since reverse is a mechanical gear so to say that requires no electronics to operate really narrows this down to a reaction carrier failure or the low/reverse band that has failed

I am sorry to say the transmission will need to come out and apart to be rebuilt or replaced

but the reaction carrier or the low / reverse band are the only 2 issues that will cause this problem you are having