Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones,
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC
15093763

I had a motor put in my 65 Olds f85. A 454. It holds 6

Customer Question

I had a motor put in my 65 Olds f85. A 454. It holds 6 quarts with filter. They put 10 quarts in, and I drove it for about 2 and 1/2 weeks. The motor didn't smoke before they put it in. Now it smokes. What could have happened.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming.

I'm ***** *****.

I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

Was it a new motor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Don't no how many miles on it. It wasn't smoking when the other guy had it in his Chevelle.

Why did they put so much oil in it?

The piston rings might have been damaged due to excessive oil in the system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mechanic said someone must have put more oil in it after he had already put oil in it. He said someone had to do this intentionally because he was the only one that was supposed to b working on it. Now since I changed the oil myself and found out why I thought it was smoking. The dealership where I had it done gave it a oil treatment to see how that goes. But it still smokes quite a bit.

Did you check to see if the air cleaner was full of oil from the breather hose from the engine. Assuming it has a hose to the air cleaner from the valve cover.

The PCV system could have pulled oil into the intake, but that should eventually clear up.

Unless the rings were damaged due to the excess oil.

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.
If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.

Thank-you
***** *****

Hi, Just wanted to get an update on how you made out with vehicle.

Please take the time to leave feedback and Rate my service for my response to your question.

Thank You for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.

***** *****

If you could please Rate the service and info I gave you, it would help to close out this question in my database.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.

Thanks