Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  over 25 years as a GM master tech
19513769

Intermittently my 02 alero will not start

Customer Question

intermittently my 02 alero will not start
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

will the car somewhat run on starting fluid or carb cleaner being sprayed down the throttle body ?

what size engine is in this car ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no when the car will start it runs fine the problem you turn the key and nothing happens other times it starts fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
seems like the security switch either in the key switch or the shifter being in park will not let the car start normally
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

so when this acts up the starter will not even turn the engine over physically ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct but not all the time does thi occur
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
usually about once a week
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok if the starter will NOT physically turn the engine over when it acts up it can not be the security system as that system just shuts off the fuel injectors

the best action to take is to be sure both battery cables are clean and tight and the connections are good on the starter

if those check out get it to act up and when it does see if the small purple wire at the starter solenoid stud shows 12 volts when holding the key to crank position if it does then the starter had a bad spot in it and needs a new starter

if it does NOT show 12 volts when you hold the key to crank then odds are the ignition switch is bad not the ignition key cylinder but the ignition switch the ignition lock cylinder turns'if by a very rare chance this acts up after a new ignition switch then the issue would have to be a bad neutral safety switch located on the top of the transmission near where the shift cable connects to the transmission

most of these end up being a bad starter or ignition switch when they will NOT crank over at all when they act up

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?