Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Oldsmobile Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I just bought a 1987 Oldsmobile Toronado Trefeo and it needs

Customer Question

I just bought a 1987 Oldsmobile Toronado Trefeo and it needs coolant put in as light keeps beeping when started and i would like A/C to work as live in Los Angeles, California. Auto Zone said I had to go to a ma and pop shop as they don't sell the coolant as it has been updated. Is there a place I can take to have done but not update all the parts as I am on disability and like most on a very tight budget. Any suggestions on where to go or what i need to do? I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks, Ted
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

go to another parts store. you can get anti freeze that fits all makes/all models. the guy must have been new as auto zone sells this coolant. no updates needed.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well i live in Los Angeles, California. Any store you would know to buy it? I asked PEP BOYS too. So not sure where to get it or what specific kind of coolant do i ask for?
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.

I used to work at pepboys, they have the coolant that is marked all makes, all models. ask a parts guy to get it for you

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I haven't explained it right from the beginning. By coolant I am talking about Freon which back in 1987 was R12 and is now R134. I need to know the answer to where I can buy some R12 Freon and/or where in Los Angeles that I can take it to get put in so that my a/c will work. Thanks.
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.

ok, that changes the whole story, thanks for clarifying.

to purchase r-12 you need a 609 license or air conditioning certification. it has been a law for a long time. you cannot just walk into a store and buy this due to the damage it does to the atmosphere.

It would be easier to update your system to the new 134 which you can purchase at a parts store without a license.

Roy

Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out