Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  over 25 years as a GM master tech
19513769

My security system will not let me start my car 1999

Customer Question

my security system will not let me start my car 1999 oldsmobile aurora
Category: Oldsmobile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

are you sure the theft system is causing this issue ?

the engine will not physically crank over ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sure. I read a tip which told me locate the two white wires under steering column. I cut the wires and car would not start. I reconnected the wires and after a half hr effort the car started. It would not start the next morning. security light flashes and then goes out and then I try to start the car with no luck. engine was not running when I tried cutting the two white wires.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

what you need to do is cut those 2 wires then with a multi meter measure the resistance of the chip in your ignition key side to side then pick up a resistor that reads the same resistance of your chip in the key then connect one of those cut wires going to the steering column to one end of the resistor then the other cut wire going to the column to the other end of the resistor so it kind of is in a loop so to say that should bypass the ignition lock cylinder which is most common for the wiring being bad at the back of the ignition lock cylinder causing this issue

but usually bypassing the ignition lock like i said will do the trick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cut the two wires and connected them to a resistor, creating a loop. car did not start. what should I do with the two wires that go into the wiring harness?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

which 2 wires did you add the resistor on ?

the harness side cut 2 wires or the ignition lock / steering column side of the 2 cut wires ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I connected the resistor to the two wires from the steering column.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

you need to be sure you connected the resistor to the two cut wires going to the column not the 2 cut doming down from the column