Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones,
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC
15093763

Chevrolet Bravada: I have a 2000 Olds Bravada and I can not

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Olds Bravada and I can not get the hood open. inside lever is not doing anything. how do I open it from the outside?
Category: Oldsmobile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions + Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I will see what we can do to provide you with the proper information get your hood open.The latches usually start sticking due to lack of lubrication.Try having someone pull on the handle and pounding on the hood in the front, middle slightly with the side of your fist. Sometimes they might need to pull and release the handle while you are hitting the hood.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried it. No go.
the little spring at the end of the cable is all messed up. That is what caused the problem the last time we think. I do keep it real lubricated. I would also like directions on fixing it.
Important: Block the hood latch in order to prevent the hood from locking until you have installed the hood latch release cable.Open and support the hood.Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the windshield wiper washer reservoir. Remove the screws securing the underhood fuse block in order to pull the unit away from the fender.Remove the cruise control module. Disconnect the hood latch cable from the primary latch assembly.Use a flat-bladed tool in order to release the clip and lift the cable assembly from the primary latch.In order to aid in installation, tie a mechanic's wire to the end of the cable. Remove the clips that retain the hood release cable.Pry open the clips with a flat-bladed tool.Pull the cable back through the opening between the radiator support and the left fender.Pull the cable back from behind the antilock brake module. Remove the body hinge trim panel. Remove the park brake pedal assembly. Remove the hood release cable grommet.Remove the adhesive tape securing the release cable to the side of the cowl.Remove the hood release cable and the lever bolts from the cowl side panel.Remove the hood latch cable assembly from the vehicle.Guide the cable through the cowl panel underneath the instrument panel from the inside of the vehicle.
You will need to get the hood open by using a long screwdriver through the grill or from under the truck to try and release the latch.
The procedure states to remove the washer container, park pedal assembly and cruise control. But usually you can do it without removing them, as long as you have mechanics wire attached to the cable end to pull it through.
Just wanted to get an update on how you made out with vehicle.
Thanks
Please take the time to leave feedback and rate my service for my response to your problem. I don't get paid unless you rate my service.
Thank you for posting your question. Your business is very valuable to us.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing that is wrong with the whole cable is the spring on the end that hooks into the latch. It is all bent up and twisted in half. Can't I just replace the spring? Doing the whole cable assembly seems like overkill especially since the cable itself is fine and is working. When I pull the cable release handle the cable pulls just fine. The spring in the end is too damaged to do anything. I assume it is suppose to push the release mechanism closed after you close the hood and latch it.
The directions I don't understand. All the parts that are mentioned to take loose or put cable under, etc I haven't a clue how to find. Is there any way you could number the pictures with the corresponding directions and part name so I can follow along?
I don't think you can get just the spring.
Can you upload a picture of the latch?
Hi, Just wanted to get an update on how you made out with vehicle. ThanksDanPlease take the time to leave feedback and rate my service for my response to your problem.I don't get paid unless you rate my service.Thank you for posting your question.Your business is very valuable to us.
If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.
If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.
Thank-you
Dan J
If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions. If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.Thank-youDan J
Hi, Just wanted to get an update on how you made out with vehicle.
Thank you for posting your question.
Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****