Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  over 25 years as a GM master tech
19513769

On a 96 cutlass 3.1 my coolant fans don't come on until temp gauge read 3/4 near the

Customer Question

on a 96 cutlass 3.1 my coolant fans don't come on until temp gauge read 3/4 near the red, why they come too late?
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the long waithow long have you owned this car ?the coolant if full ?once the fans come on the temp will drop back down ?will it run at 3/4 driving at speed down the road ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
how long have you owned this car ?is the thermostat new ?is the coolant sensor new ?any access to a scan tool to view live computer data ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
9 years, the thermostat and coolant sensor is new, I don't have access to scan tool. the fan on the right, passenger side don't work by the temp sensor, I connect a wire from the other one to make it work. I have put 3 water pump on this car since September 2014
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
are you able to find out what the coolant temp is reading in the computer when the fan turns on ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no that test have not been done.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
the fan should turn on at @ 220 ishwe really need to cut this problem in 1/2 and see if the fan is coming on at @ 220 and the temp keeps rising showing an overheat issue OR is the fan not coming on at the correct temp range which would be a control problemthis kid of cuts your problem in 1/2 knowing this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. how can I do this test to see if the fans come on at 220 ?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
with a scan tool viewing live computer datausing a hand help temp scanner may not be accurate enough or a thermo gun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. I will look into that, think you for your time and answers.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
let me know