Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

Olds Intigue: Old intrigue 1999, red battery light came on,

Customer Question

Old intrigue 1999, red battery light came on, next day while driving car died on road.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.
The powertrain control module (PCM) controls the charge indicator lamp in the instrument cluster. The PCM sends a message to the instrument cluster through the Class II serial data link to turn on the charge indicator lamp when detecting one of these conditions:
^ Undervoltage (less than 11.2V).
^ Overvoltage (over 16.5V).
^ Stopped alternator.
From your description it sounds like the alternator began discharging the battery when the battery light came on and when the system voltage could no longer support the loads of the vehicle with it running all of the dash warning lights came on. The PCM sent these messages to the instrument cluster also.
The first things that need to be done is recording all if any codes stored in the PCM and the Body Control Module (BCM). Then properly diagnose the vehicles charging system to determine whether the system is at fault or the alternator is at fault.
I hope this information is helpful to you.
Should you have any questions please let me know.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.