Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years in the Auto repair business
7276279

Oldsmobile 88: ac not blowing in 1998 oldsmobile 88. Replaced

Customer Question

ac not blowing in 1998 oldsmobile 88. Replaced the resistor, and relay. Now I hear a suction noise when I try change AC control settings.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The suction noise you are hearing is most likely caused by a vacuum leak either at the control panel and or from one of the vacuum control motors that move the doors under the dash. You are going to need to have a look around under the dash to see if you can isolate the source. Check each motor to be sure the hoses are connected as well as none are leaking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About to go up to work and pull car into garage to get a look behind control panel. Should I be looking behind the blower control, and settings control knobs? or are the motors located somewhere else under dash?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, I noticed that when I put the new resistor in, and the blower did come on for a little while, it wasn't blowing as hard as it did originally. Is this normal when putting a new blower motor resistor in, or do you think this is also due to loose hose?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
The blower should have all speeds. The vacuum supply starts at the control panel and runs to 3 or 4 vacuum motors located on the AC/heater plenum.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took dash off, removed rubber vacuum seal and tested on all ac settings and low med high. Only 1 of the lines is sucking air. The white line at far right. All lines are in good condition with no holes or rips as far as I can see.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to trace the source of the sucking sound?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After putting the hose fitting back on nice and tight, its not making the sucking noise anymore. Ac is still not blowing though. Only works while going 50+ mph and with blower set to high.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
So you saying you have no blower motor operation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep. Sometimes it will kick on, but then when I shut car off it doesn't work next time I start car up. The blower motor is less than a year old and not making any weird noises.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
In order to determine why the blower is not coming you are going to need to do some testing while the problem is occurring. I have enclosed the steps to do so in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Blower%20motor%20Jun%2028.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not had time to test connections yet but plan to do so this weekend. However, when I first signed up for this I was told my card would nit be charged unless I was satisfied with results. My card has already been charged $30. Whats up with that?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
I have no control over what you have been charged and I do not receive any payment unless you rate my service. You can contact customer service and they will address this issue for you.