Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master certified, 30 years experience. Auto troubleshooting, electrical , ABS, SRS, EFI system
2947720

Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme: Jerry, I have a 97 olds supreme

Customer Question

Jerry,
I have a 97 olds supreme it has the intermittent starting problem. I can leave the switch on and short across the starter and it will start but only run for a few seconds then dies as if no fuel. I can do this over and over. Usually after several times of shorting across the starter it will start with the ignition switch for weeks or months then it will just not start with the key. When it does this and I try to start it with the key it will not even turn over, but will start for a few seconds when I short across the starter solenoid. Any I deas???
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
.
.
That sounds like a problem with the Passkey2 security system. There are 15 different value resistors that are used in the keys.
..
Possibly the passlock2 sensor in the lock cylinder for the ignition is the problem. But it could, of course be something else in the system.
.
The only way to know is to check it with the Interrogator tool. Most lock smiths have one. When we get that problem in the field, and not having the tool we get a lock smith to come and check it, for about $85.
..
That is less than the dealership and that way there is no tow charge.
.
Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.
.