Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master certified, 30 years experience. Auto troubleshooting, electrical , ABS, SRS, EFI system
2947720

Oldsmobile Alero: Is there only one gray wire to the fuel pump

Customer Question

Is there only one gray wire to the fuel pump on a 2004 Olds Alero
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.
.
Do the black wires have ground? There is a gray wire to the tank pressure sensor on top of the tank. Does the gray wire to the pump have power for 2 seconds when the key is first turned on?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is one black wire and another black wire with a white tracer does both of these need a ground? The gray wire does have power for 2 seconds.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Actually let's focus on the black wire that is in the same connector as the gray one to the fuel pump. I assume the pump is not running and the engine not starting. Power at the gray, ground at the black, pump should run, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't, we made a ground from the battery to the black wire, still no start, can you please call me at(###) ###-####
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I am not set up for that at this time but if there is power, (12v) to the gray wire and ground to the black at the tank and the pump doesn't run, that is at the little connector on the inside of the tank, (that goes to the pump itself).
.
There were a problem on some of the other GM vehicles. They want you to replace the retainer that incorporates the connector but we could most times clean them up and put a new terminal on them just to make a good connection.
.