Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Oldsmobile Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Oldsmobile auroa: my 2001 oldsmobile aurora runs fine in the

Customer Question

my 2001 oldsmobile aurora runs fine in the day but as soon as I turn on my headlights I get a theft system fault, service stability contol, and my ABS light comes on.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Hello , it sounds like a alternate or ground issue. What are the codes you get from the modules if any. Or have you not checked the codes and just see the warning lights on the dash. ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No codes. It only does it at night while driving. It runs fine. Doesn't have any issues starting at all. Even when the problems are happening it doesn't affect driving.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The headlights don't surge at all. It doesn't act like a bad alternator.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok that doesn't mean it's not a alternator. So is it light where you are at right now ? Can you try it during the daylight and see if the lights also come on ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does it randomly while the headlights are on. It doesn't matter if it's night or day. The theft system fault comes on as soon as you shift into drive while the headlights are on and the stability system and ABS lights come on randomly while driving. The stereo also randomly turns off then right back on while driving with the headlights on.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok I don't think the abs is part of this issue. If you have a bad wheel bearing or wheel speed sensor that will make the lights come on while driving. I don't think those are connected.
Now as far as the theft system. When you told me when you shift into drive that also makes me think there's a issue with the brake switch. What if you just keep pressing the brake without shifting the gear out of park. Can you try that ? It's possible that the brake switch has something to do with it. We need to rule that out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it doesn't come on when I switch to reverse its only when I shift into drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it also makes the traction control turn off. Or at least the light says it's off when that happens.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not saying the issue is the gears you are switching to , I'm saying the issue is when you press the brake in order to shift the lever. So I need you to simply start the car and press the brake a bunch of times and see if the warnings come on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that's what I was trying to say. No it doesn't come on from the brakes. I can hold the brake and it wont come on. It only comes on after shifting into drive. I'm sorry about the miscommunication.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok , it's ok this site takes some getting used to. Ok so if you shift it to drive and it comes on can you shift it back to park and it goes off ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Once it's on it pretty much stays on. Once it's on it does some weird things. Like the windows go up and down in little spurts. Like its surging. It's a bunch of little movements instead on one constant movement. That only happens when the security system comes on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry what I mean is the windows do that when you try to roll them up or down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sunroof opens and closes fine even when that's happening to the other windows.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So you have a meter to just check voltage to make sure we are not dealing with a battery or alternate issue ? Then I can check a diagram and see what is the common denominator behind all those systems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have one but I cant check at the moment. It's at my house and I wont be home from work until late tonight.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where would you like me to meter ( at the battery / alternator ) and how many amps / volts should it be reading.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Let's do that before we go any further. I will receive emails when you reply so no worries I will always respond. Just give me time. Have a good night. Lou
Just tested at the battery positive to positive and negative to negative make sure you cannot twist the battery terminals because of the battery has any looseness of the terminals it will give you all kinds of crazy issues and then if you have a way to fix the meter to the terminals or have a second person have them put it in gear and turn the lights on to put as much load on the battery as possible and see where the meter reads at. It should be between 13. just tested at the battery positive to positive and negative to negative make sure you cannot twist the battery terminals because of the battery has any looseness of the terminals it will give you all kinds of crazy issues and then if you have a way to fix the meter to the terminals or have a second person have them put it in gear and turn the lights on to put as much load on the battery as possible and see where the meter 13.0-14.6 no matter what. Any lower or higher and it's no good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you very much for your time and I will get that done tomorrow and let you know what it says. I hope you have a great night as well.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Well thanks man. Until tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes sir
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
And make sure the meter is set to volts. Just in case your not used to using a meter. If there are more than three settings for DC volts then use the closest to 20 as you can. That way the decimal point will be correct.