Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  over 25 years as a GM master tech
19513769

Oldsmobile Aurora: I've recently bought a new 3.5L long block

Customer Question

I've recently bought a new 3.5L long block for my 2001 (2nd generation)Aurora. The original motor had 177K on it, but apparently it's got a blown head gasket. This came to light after I took it to a local shop to see why it was stalling @ lights on the way to work. They replaced the intake & coolant crossover gaskets, plug boots, etc., but then said it needed head gaskets. As the son of a retired mechanic, that didn't sound right to me, but rather than throwing good money after bad, I've bought the new motor and intend to install it myself. the question is: What's the best way to pull it? Out of the top, or by dropping the cradle? I'm pretty proficient as a weekend mechainc, but dropping the cradle sounds like too much work for my garage resources. Wondering which way is best, ***** ***** the Chilton time (hours) indicated for the job????
Thanks,
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the long waitremoving the engine with the transmission and sub frame out the bottom is the best way to do this job as the engine will not have enough room to come out the top like the old daysit has to be dropped out the bottomthis is a 21 hour job to replace the engine with the transfer of old parts from the old engine to the new engine