jazzmaster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have 32 years experience as a automotive tech,plus ase certified

I have a 1995 olds ciera sl 3100 v6 engine, its sputtering

I have a 1995 olds ciera sl 3100 v6 engine, it's sputtering and missing. There is some oil on the crank seal, but no service engine light on.Could it be gas filter, spark plugs , sensor , all three or something else?

hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you ..

with no engine light on or coming on.,I would check the spark from each of the coil tower or at the spark plugs -if you have an inductive timing light -the one that clips over the wire -while its running or when it sputters or misses -under the conditions it does this check at each spark plug wire ..

the fuel pressure should read 47-60 lbs ..

it cant hurt to check the fuel filter as well remove it and see if dirty fuel comes out and/or blow through one end -it should be easy to blow through ..

check all vacuum hoses for cracks or looseness ..

I doubt its a sensor as that would bive you hard starting or stalling issues as well .not ruling out that but check the things I suggested first ..

you can also check the coils by using a digital meter and attach/touch each lead to the towers on each coil the meter should read 5.7 ohms or close to that .

if you have no spark on one or two coils or on one tower then you may want to take off the ignition control module and have a parts store test that for you -an have them test it twice just to be sure ...jazzmaster ..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your concern. The car ran ok for about a week. I have someone else working on the car now.