Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Oldsmobile Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

I have a 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S and just recently

I have a 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S and just recently when I turn my headlights on I can't see my dash or my clock
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Oldsmobile problem.

Do the taillights and front park lights work?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes my taillights, front park lights, and my break lights work. My M fuse 5AMP keeps blowing out

Is it the 5 amp INST LPS fuse that is blowing out?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think, its for the illumination for: I/P, radio, Pod lights, Ashtray, console light, Heater-A/C control, and the defog switch

Any aftermarket equipment (radio, etc.) installed in the car?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, everything is basically original in the car except for the battery and the transmission line.

Since the fuse is blowing, this shows that there is a direct short in the illumination circuit. This is the gray wire. This circuit goes to the instrument cluster, the radio, power window switches, heater and a/c control, and ashtray light. Tracing out a short can be difficult, but there are tools that can help. The Short Finder is one such tool. One part installs in place of the fuse and the other part (gauge) is waved over the wiring harness. When the meter moves, you have found the location of the short. This tool can read through interior panels, so less disassembly is required.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, we'll try doing that. Thank you

You are very welcome.