BigBob, Service manager/Technician
Experience:  25 years in the auto repair business

Oldsmobile Aurora: cannot get to drive forward but a few feet,

cannot get to drive forward but a few feet, when in reverse there is a whining noise with no movement of vehicle
Greetings and welcome!!!!!

This could just be low fluid, check that first. If you have checked that then you will need to pull the tran smission pan and check for debris or metal pieces in the magnet or pan. What does the fluid look like (color)? Does it smell burnt? How many miles on the vehicle? When was the last transmission fluid exchange? This sounds like a internal mechanical problem in the transmission and will probably need to be replaced.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address any follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

fluid level fine and doesnt smell burned

Next step would be to pull the pan and check for metal chunks in the filter and pan. If that is ok, then you will need to check transmission pressures with a transmission pressure guage. I suspect this is internal. Is the service engine soon light on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i have gotten code p0742

Ok thanks. There is a TSB from Gm about replacing the torque converter and inspecting the oil pump, but that obviusly requires some disassemmbly. Click here for the TSB. To diagnose properly this will require some special equipment.