Joel
Joel, ASE Certified
Experience:  I have worked for Oldsmobile since 1989.
5217488

Oldsmobile AURORA: 1997 OLDS AURORA. AC IN FULL OPERATION.

Customer Question

1997 OLDS AURORA. AC IN FULL OPERATION. SET TO 60 DEGREES THE DRIVER SIDE BLOWS HOT AIR AND THE PASSENGER SIDE BLOWS ICE COLD. WHAT IS THE CAUSE OF THIS PROBLEM?

Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Joel :

Did this start all of a sudden? Any work done just prior to this problem?

Customer:

Yes it did. I had the bell housing pully replaced in January. I hadn' run the ac up until now but only to circulate the system. it worked perfectly fine until the other day.

Customer:

Car is still one of the few left in the country under 70K miles and well kept. It had a common problem fixed in January. The drive pully. It was replaced. I had a steering problem prior to the pully being replaced. Now, I don't have any problems other than the a.c. Everything is functioning. Auto temp, all vents, the compressor is running perfectly in cycle, the climate control unit works perfectly all knobs and buttons and lights and screen and readings on the unit. It all works perfect. No fuses blown, the blower motor blows like a lone wolf. all the vents have some form of air coming out of them be it hot or cold. Just in ac mode, at 60 degrees, passenger side ice cold and driver side very hot. Thats it. Totally abnormal.

Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.
OK. Sounds like you have the common problem of the drivers side temp door actuator failed. There is a temp door for each side, and the drivers side is malfunctioning. You need to get that replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, where is the actuator and how do I get to it exactly? And thank you in advance. I will be doing this repair in the morning pending I can find the part. Parts are scarce for this vehicle and some obsolete. If this solves the problem I will rate after final results of repair.

Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the part is available. Most parts store will either have it or can get it. Here is a pic of its location on the center HVAC case accessed from under driver side of dash. #5

graphic

Joel, ASE Certified
Experience: I have worked for Oldsmobile since 1989.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Joel. The repair is done and everything is back to working order as it should be. You were dead on the money. I hope if I need something answered again we can colaberate again. Thanks again.

Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Great !

Yes i can work with you again. Just request me, thanks.