Pete, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  17 years Oldsmobile training and experience.

92 Olds 88 Engine dies while driving then wont start for 20

92 Olds 88 Engine dies while driving then won't start for 20 minutes then runs rough
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.I may need more info in some cases to help with answering your question.

When it wont start has anything been tested like fuel pressure,spark or fuel injector pulses at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When it won't start I have checked fuel pressure and spark, both ok. When running I have checked for the " click " at each injector. When it won't start I have also tried spraying starting fluid into the throttle body.

One component I don't see listed on what has been replaced is the crankshaft position sensor.This sensor sits behind the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer and it can heat up and lose its signal and cause this stall out here.Then the vehicle usually has to sit a period of time before it will restart as the sensor cools.If this hasn't been replaced this sounds like what may be causing this issue as it is a common component to fail as I have replaced quite a few in the past.

Let me know if you need anything else,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your timely response.One thing I forgot to mention is at times will it will start after sitting for a period it will run very rough and not idle. Other times it will run perfectly. Would the crankshaft position sensor also cause this to happen?

If the signal is cutting in and out rapidly it can act up this way in some cases.This is a difficult question to diagnose from here so it may be best to have this looked into at a shop to see if they can pinpoint the issue for sure but the crank sensor is common for this fault so this is a definite possibility.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Replaced the crankshaft position sensor. Also the ignition module, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, plug wires,oxygen sensor. I have check pulse { clicking} at fuel injectors, checked fuel pressure, sprayed starting fluid into throttle body while turning engine over. I have checked volts at throttle position sensor and MAP.Could the security system cause they previously mentioned things to occur?

Does your key have a chip in it that you can see near the handle?

Is the security light flashing at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the key does have a chip. The security light just stays on does not flash.

Does the security light ever go out with the key on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no the secirity light stays on. The only time it's out is when the ignition is off

Is the engine cranking over with the starter when turning the key?If it is then this isn't security related here as this vehicles security system will disable the starter when a security fault is detected.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes engine turns over with key. I may have located the problem. I pulled a code 34 with scanner which indicated MAF sensor. I checked wires and have only 1 amp and no volts. could this be the cause of my problems

You should have battery voltage on the pink wire and ground on the black wire with white stripe with the key on or engine running.

If you have no voltage or very little check and make sure the fuse # 8 is o.k.,this fuse also sends a power signal to the engine computer so if it is blown then this will cause this issue here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The fuse is not blown and I get a voltage reading of 1.9

Can you test across the top of the fuse for battery voltage with the key on and let me know what you come up with here?

Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i can't seem to get a reading of any thing at all across top of fuse with key on

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was able to get a reading of 12.45 across the fuse

O.k.,it sounds like the fuse has the correct power but the power isn't reaching the mass air flow sensor and the computer.This indicates there is a power/voltage issue from the fuse to these components and the wiring needs checked over to locate and correct the fault.

It's hard to say from here for sure where this wiring fault is located so the wiring will need traced to locate the fault.

I hope this has helped here,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for all the help. I think Im on the right track now.

Thank you

Your welcome,I hope you can get this resolved with ease.