Amedee
Amedee, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Oldsmobile Alero: 2002 Oldsmobile Alero - will not start  Have

Customer Question

2002 Oldsmobile Alero - will not start

 Have already changed fuel pump.
 The car ran for appx. One day
 Currently the fuel pump relay #18 is turning on for 2 seconds when the key is turned to the ON position, this gives me 12 volts continuous back across the pump motor on the other side of the connector that goes up to the fuel pump. I have ohmed out the pump motor and it is the same resistance as the pump the motor that I pulled which, if I feed 12 volts to runs (old fuel pump motor). So, I do not believe that the old fuel pump motor was defective.
 I hooked 12 volts directly across the fuel pump motor (new) and I cannot hear it running - black being the ground, gray being the 12 volt line
 I have spark and no security light is on, no codes are displayed
 Question - is there anything that might the pump not to turn on when fed 12 volts --- (? Is there a pressure switch on the pump that it might pressure up when I turned on 12 volts, causing it to NOT turn on?).
 I have also added a new fuel filter with the new pump (new, not rebuilt, pump)
 I do not hear the new fuel pump coming on when I put 12 volts across it.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

My name isCustomerXXXXX I can assist you with your question.

Is the fuel pump getting voltage when cranking the engine over?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please see my original query: Yes, pump indicates 12 volts (constant) when turning engine over

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Mark,

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for clearing that up for me.

Your saying there the new fuel pump will not even run when it has power and ground directly supplied to it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, that is correct. Do you know if the fuel pump has a pressure switch that would shut it off if pressure was high -- such as might be caused by
a clogged line or a sending unit not returning fuel back to the tank?

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Mark,

There is no such switch for the fuel pump on this vehicle. The only switch like this is the inertia switch used by Ford vehicles. But this vehicle does not even have any sort of switch like this.

This fuel pump should run with power and ground supplies to it. It is as simple as that. You could remove the fuel pump and see if it runs when bench tested. This would be your best bet.

You could have an issue with the wiring inside the tank or even at the connection at the fuel pump itself.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the new fuel pump motor in the car has the same resistance as the motor I took out, measured from the plug so I know whatever caused the original problem that made the fuel pump look like the problem is not the problem. The old fuel pump works in a bucket of water so I have the original problem but am still looking for the answer.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Mark,

A resistance check is not a good test. I have been doing this for 13 years and I have not ohmed out a fuel pump in over 10 years.. because it is not needed to see if the pump is bad.

If the pump does not come on when you power it up and supply a ground to it at the same time, the pump is bad. It is as simple as that.

IF it is not coming on, then either the pump is bad or you have a bad connection between where your powering it up and grounding it at to where the fuel pump is located.

Your overlooking something.. I guarantee it!
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Mark,

I see you gave me a poor rating service.

Please don't penalize me because you have overlooked something. All my answers are 100% correct.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No your answer is not 100% correct do some research about the Alero's history of starting problems generally it is NOT the fuel pump please increase your knowledge base as it is obviously limited

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Mark,

I do this for a living.

All the fuel pump needs to work is power and ground.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
This mechanic is obviously lacking the knowledge needed to answer this question. This is a common problem with the Oldsmobile Alero, please find someone who has adequate knowledge and experience
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Mark,

I can see you do not trust me. My answer still stands and you will understand it when you get to the bottom of this problem.

Best of luck!
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
I am assuming you checked for a ground on the black wire correct? If so and it checks out good, then it the problem will be the same that we have been talking about. If there is no ground on the black wire, this will be the root cause. If you need the locations, let me know!
<br/Customer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If the pump is or was pumping what would cause the car not to start if you have spark? Sprayed starter fluid into the air intake and the car starts for a couple of seconds

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ground is good. Both pumps have same systems. What caused this to happen. Maybe to high presure?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello! You need to check injector pluses when cranking the engine over. You would use a tool called a noid light. It connects to the injector connector after it is disconnected from the fuel injector and should blink when the engine is cranking over.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is there any device that is in path with that gas line that could let the gas pressure in the line become so high that it could ruin the pump because I have lost 2 pumps that will intermittently work outside the car and I provided 12 volts across the gray and black lines (with gray having the 12 volts on it and black having the ground) Would a bad pressure sensor on the pump play into this problem or is there a return valve that releases pressure back to the tank (re-routes) the pressure if it builds too high back to the tank to relieve the pressure -- with spraying starter fluid into the air intake (which starts the car for a brief few seconds PLUS the car ran fine for appx. one day with the new pump) I have to believe that the computer and system is working and is trying to start the car

Expert:  Walt-mod replied 2 years ago.
I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am still waiting for an answer -- I feel my problem is beyond the level of expertise of the "expert" originally assigned to answer my problem -- the Oldsmobile Aleros have a well-documented history of starting problems tied into their security/electrical system which gives the appearance of fuel pump failure --- here is my next question

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, still waiting for an answer -- I feel my original "expert" is unfamiliar with the vast documented starting problems of the Oldsmobile Alero ... please kindly have an expert respond who is more familiar with these types of problems is there any device that is in path with that gas line that could let the gas pressure in the line become so high that it could ruin the pump because I have lost 2 pumps that will intermittently work outside the car and I provided 12 volts across the gray and black lines (with gray having the 12 volts on it and black having the ground) Would a bad pressure sensor on the pump play into this problem or is there a return valve that releases pressure back to the tank (re-routes) the pressure if it builds too high back to the tank to relieve the pressure -- with spraying starter fluid into the air intake (which starts the car for a brief few seconds PLUS the car ran fine for appx. one day with the new pump) I have to believe that the computer and system is working and is trying to start the car

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Sorry for the delay! Have you checked injector pulse? If so, what where the results?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello! Please pass the last question I sent to another expert as I feel you dont have sufficient knowledge to deal with this problem. Thank you.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
I cannot provide you with an accurate answer if you cannot provide me with the detail I need as my answers are solely based on the information you provide me with. Based on the little information you have given me, it sounds like there is no injector pulse when cranking the engine over. This is usually due to the security system on you vehicle but if this where the case, you would have a security light on or flashing in the dash and a code in the computer related to this condition. I will leave this question open.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
One quick note, if there is no injector pulse, this start stall condition is usually caused by a bad ignition switch. Sometimes this is fixed by doing an ignition switch relearn procedure.

This is the common failure with this vehicle you are most likely talking about.

This question is still open for other Experts to assist you.

Amedee