tim37857
tim37857, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  have owned repair shop for 25 years
14541291

Timing belt on 2002 Oldsmobile Alero engine broke. Repair cost?

Customer Question

The timing belt/chain on my 2002 4cylinder Alero broke. What would be the average price to repair this? The car was running very rough with bad acceleration the day or two before it went out and just would not start. Is it likely that additional damage has been done, valves, pistons, etc? Do you think the cost is worth repairing a 10 year old car with over 125,000 miles?

Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  tim37857 replied 3 years ago.

tims auto repair :

Hi, do you have the 2.4?

Customer :

It's a 2.2 liter

tims auto repair :

These do have a chain, not a belt

Customer :

What is a ball park cost, parts and labor to repair? What other damage might have been caused by chain breaking?

tims auto repair :

Well..most times, this won't cause other damage on this engine

Give me just a moment, I will get you the labor time and cost

tims auto repair :

My data bank is a little slow

Is the 2.2 liter engine in an Alero, a interference engine that valve or piston damage is likely to have occurred.
tims auto repair :

It is an interference engine, but I have seen these come apart and not hurt anything. You will need to put it in time, then check the compression to ensure this

Alero, Grand Am 1999-2005

Timing Chain Cover, Chain, Sprockets, & Seal

Removal & Installation

2.2L Engine

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
  2. Remove the valve cover.
  3. Remove the engine front cover as follows:
    1. Remove the front wheel.
    2. Remove the engine splash shield.
    3. Remove the drive belt.
    4. Use crankshaft holding tool J 38122-A to prevent the crankshaft from rotating while loosening the crankshaft balancer bolt.

Fig. Use crankshaft holding tool J 38122-A to prevent the crankshaft from rotating while loosening the crankshaft balancer bolt-2.2L engine

5. Remove the crankshaft balancer bolt and discard. Remove the balancer.
    6. Remove the drive belt tensioner.
    7. Remove the water pump-to-front cover bolt.

Fig. Remove the water pump-to-front cover bolt-2.2L engine

Fig. Remove the front cover bolts and cover-2.2L engine

8. Remaining front cover-to-engine bolts, the cover and gasket.
  4. Rotate the engine until the crankshaft sprocket mark aligns with the second silver link (2) at the 5 o'clock position. Refer to the illustration.

Fig. Rotate the engine until the crankshaft sprocket mark aligns with the second silver link (2) at the 5 o'clock position-2.2L engine

5. Make sure the INT diamond on the intake camshaft sprocket is aligned with the copper link at (1) at the 2 o'clock position. Refer to the illustration.

Fig. Make sure the INT diamond on the intake camshaft sprocket is aligned with the copper link at (1) at the 2 o'clock position-2.2L engine

6. Make sure the EXH triangle on the exhaust camshaft sprocket is aligned with the silver link (3). Refer to the illustration.

Fig. Make sure the EXH triangle on the exhaust camshaft sprocket is aligned with the silver link (3)-2.2L engine

7. Remove or disconnect the following:
    Timing chain tensionerTiming chain tensioner guide Fixed timing chain guide access plug Fixed timing chain guide Upper timing chain guide
  8. Use a 24 mm wrench to hold the camshafts from turning.
    Exhaust camshaft sprocket bolt and discardExhaust camshaft sprocketIntake camshaft sprocket bolt and discardIntake camshaft sprocket Timing chain through the top of the cylinder head

Fig. Remove the intake camshaft sprocket, then the chain through the top of the head-2.2L engine

Crankshaft sprocket Balance shaft drive chain tensioner Adjustable balance shaft chain guide Small balance shaft drive chain guide Upper balance shaft drive chain guide Balance shaft drive chain.

Fig. Remove the upper balance shaft chain guide, then the chain-2.2L engine

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:
    Upper balance shaft chain guide and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm) Small balance shaft chain guide and bolts and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm) Adjustable balance shaft drive chain guide and bolts and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm)
  2. Turn the tensioner plunger 90 degrees in its bore and compress the plunger until a paper clip can be inserted through the hole in the plunger body and into hole in the tensioner plunger.
    Timing chain tensioner and bolts and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm)
  3. Remove the paper clip from the balance shaft drive chain tensioner.
  4. Install the crankshaft sprocket with timing mark at the 5 o'clock position.

Fig. Install the crankshaft sprocket with timing mark at the 5 o'clock position-2.2L engine

5. Lower the timing chain through the opening in the top of the cylinder head. Carefully ensure that the chain goes around both sides of the cylinder block bosses.

Fig. Lower the timing chain through the opening in the top of the cylinder head. Carefully ensure that the chain goes around both sides of the cylinder block bosses (1 & 2)-2.2L engine

6. Install or connect the following:
    Intake camshaft sprocket with the INT diamond at the 2 o'clock position

Fig. Install the intake camshaft sprocket with the INT diamond at the 2 o'clock position-2.2L engine

7. Hand tighten a NEW intake camshaft sprocket bolt.
  8. Route the timing chain around the crankshaft sprocket with the second silver link aligning with the timing mark.
  9. Route the timing chain around the intake camshaft sprocket with the copper colored link aligning with the INT diamond.
    Timing chain tensioner guide through the opening in the top of the cylinder head and tighten the bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm). Exhaust camshaft sprocket with the timing chain silver link at EXH triangle aligned at the 10 o'clock position.

Fig. Install the exhaust camshaft sprocket with the timing chain silver link at EXH triangle aligned at the 10 o'clock position-2.2L engine

10. Use a 24 mm wrench to rotate the camshaft slightly, until exhaust sprocket aligns with the camshaft.
  11. Hand tighten the NEW exhaust camshaft sprocket bolt.
  12. Install the fixed timing chain guide and tighten the bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
  13. Apply sealant, GM P/N 12345382 compound to thread and install the timing chain guide bolt access hole plug. Tighten the access hole plug to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
    Timing chain upper guide and bolts and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm)
  14. Measure the timing chain tensioner. In a fully compressed, non-active state, the tensioner will measure 2.83 in (72mm). A tensioner in the active state will measure 3.35 in (85mm). To put the tensioner in a non-active state, hold the flat end of the tensioner with a wrench and rotate the piston clockwise for slightly less than one full turn.
    Timing chain tensioner and tighten the tensioner to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm)
  15. Use a suitable tool with a rubber tip on the end. Feed the tool down through the camshaft drive chant to rest on the timing chain. Then give a sharp jolt diagonally downwards to release the tensioner.
  16. Use a 24 mm wrench to hold the camshaft and tighten the new bolts to 63 ft. lbs. (85 Nm) plus an additional 30 degrees.
  17. Install the valve cover.
  18. Install the engine front cover as follows:
    1. Install front cover gasket, cover and cover-to-engine bolts.
    2. Install the water pump-to-front cover bolts. Tighten all the cover bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
    3. Install the drive belt tensioner and tighten the bolt to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
    4. Install the crankshaft balancer and bolt.
    5. Use crankshaft holding tool J 38122-A to prevent the crankshaft from rotating while tightening the crankshaft balancer bolt. Tighten the bolt to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm) plus an additional 75 degrees.
    6. Install the engine splash shield.
    7. Install the drive belt.
    8. Install the front wheel.
  19. Connect negative battery cable.
Customer :

And the approximate repair cost, time and labor?

tims auto repair :

Parts will be $150+/-

Labor is 4.1 hrs

tim37857, Auto Mechanic
Experience: have owned repair shop for 25 years