tim37857
tim37857, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  have owned repair shop for 25 years
14541291

Oldsmobile Alero: The timing belt/chain on my 2002 4cylinder

Customer Question

The timing belt/chain on my 2002 4cylinder Alero broke. What would be the average price to repair this? The car was running very rough with bad acceleration the day or two before it went out and just would not start. Is it likely that additional damage has been done, valves, pistons, etc? Do you think the cost is worth repairing a 10 year old car with over 125,000 miles?
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  tim37857 replied 2 years ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

do you have the 2.4?

Customer:

It's a 2.2 liter

tims auto repair :

hi..sorry i missed you

tims auto repair :

are you still there?

tims auto repair :

these do have a chain,,,not a belt

Customer:

What is a ball park cost parts and labor to repair. What other damage might have been cause by chain breaking?

tims auto repair :

well..most times,,this wont cause other damage on this engine

tims auto repair :

give me just a moment,,,i will get you the labor time and cost

tims auto repair :

my data bank is a little slow

tims auto repair :

please bare with me

Customer:

ok

tims auto repair :

my data bank is down..

tims auto repair :

but i will post it as soon as it comes online

tims auto repair :

i will also give you instructions

tims auto repair :

it should be back online shortly

Customer:

Is the 2.2 liter engine in a Alero a interference engine that valve or piston damage is likely to have occurred.

tims auto repair :

sorry,,having some trouble

tims auto repair :

it is an interference engine

tims auto repair :

but

tims auto repair :

i have seen these come apart..and not hurt anything

tims auto repair :

you will need to put it in time..then check thhe compression

tims auto repair :

to insure this

tims auto repair :

Alero, Grand Am 1999-2005

Timing Chain Cover, Chain, Sprockets, & Seal

Removal & Installation

2.2L Engine

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.

2. Remove the valve cover.

3. Remove the engine front cover as follows:

1. Remove the front wheel.

2. Remove the engine splash shield.

3. Remove the drive belt.

4. Use crankshaft holding tool J 38122-A to prevent the crankshaft from rotating while loosening the crankshaft balancer bolt.

Fig. Use crankshaft holding tool J 38122-A to prevent the crankshaft from rotating while loosening the crankshaft balancer bolt-2.2L engine

5. Remove the crankshaft balancer bolt and discard. Remove the balancer.

6. Remove the drive belt tensioner.

7. Remove the water pump-to-front cover bolt.

Fig. Remove the water pump-to-front cover bolt-2.2L engine

Fig. Remove the front cover bolts and cover-2.2L engine

8. Remaining front cover-to-engine bolts, the cover and gasket.

4. Rotate the engine until the crankshaft sprocket mark aligns with the second silver link (2) at the 5 o'clock position. Refer to the illustration.

Fig. Rotate the engine until the crankshaft sprocket mark aligns with the second silver link (2) at the 5 o'clock position-2.2L engine

5. Make sure the INT diamond on the intake camshaft sprocket is aligned with the copper link at (1) at the 2 o'clock position. Refer to the illustration.

Fig. Make sure the INT diamond on the intake camshaft sprocket is aligned with the copper link at (1) at the 2 o'clock position-2.2L engine

6. Make sure the EXH triangle on the exhaust camshaft sprocket is aligned with the silver link (3). Refer to the illustration.

Fig. Make sure the EXH triangle on the exhaust camshaft sprocket is aligned with the silver link (3)-2.2L engine

7. Remove or disconnect the following:

Timing chain tensioner

Timing chain tensioner guide

Fixed timing chain guide access plug

Fixed timing chain guide

Upper timing chain guide

8. Use a 24 mm wrench to hold the camshafts from turning.

Exhaust camshaft sprocket bolt and discard

Exhaust camshaft sprocket

Intake camshaft sprocket bolt and discard

Intake camshaft sprocket

Timing chain through the top of the cylinder head

Fig. Remove the intake camshaft sprocket, then the chain through the top of the head-2.2L engine

Crankshaft sprocket

Balance shaft drive chain tensioner

Adjustable balance shaft chain guide

Small balance shaft drive chain guide

Upper balance shaft drive chain guide

Balance shaft drive chain.

Fig. Remove the upper balance shaft chain guide, then the chain-2.2L engine

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:

Upper balance shaft chain guide and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm)

Small balance shaft chain guide and bolts and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm)

Adjustable balance shaft drive chain guide and bolts and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm)

2. Turn the tensioner plunger 90 degrees in its bore and compress the plunger until a paper clip can be inserted through the hole in the plunger body and into hole in the tensioner plunger.

Timing chain tensioner and bolts and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm)

3. Remove the paper clip from the balance shaft drive chain tensioner.

4. Install the crankshaft sprocket with timing mark at the 5 o'clock position.

Fig. Install the crankshaft sprocket with timing mark at the 5 o'clock position-2.2L engine

5. Lower the timing chain through the opening in the top of the cylinder head. Carefully ensure that the chain goes around both sides of the cylinder block bosses.

Fig. Lower the timing chain through the opening in the top of the cylinder head. Carefully ensure that the chain goes around both sides of the cylinder block bosses (1 & 2)-2.2L engine

6. Install or connect the following:

Intake camshaft sprocket with the INT diamond at the 2 o'clock position

Fig. Install the intake camshaft sprocket with the INT diamond at the 2 o'clock position-2.2L engine

7. Hand tighten a NEW intake camshaft sprocket bolt.

8. Route the timing chain around the crankshaft sprocket with the second silver link aligning with the timing mark.

9. Route the timing chain around the intake camshaft sprocket with the copper colored link aligning with the INT diamond.

Timing chain tensioner guide through the opening in the top of the cylinder head and tighten the bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).

Exhaust camshaft sprocket with the timing chain silver link at EXH triangle aligned at the 10 o'clock position.

Fig. Install the exhaust camshaft sprocket with the timing chain silver link at EXH triangle aligned at the 10 o'clock position-2.2L engine

10. Use a 24 mm wrench to rotate the camshaft slightly, until exhaust sprocket aligns with the camshaft.

11. Hand tighten the NEW exhaust camshaft sprocket bolt.

12. Install the fixed timing chain guide and tighten the bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).

13. Apply sealant, GM P/N 12345382 compound to thread and install the timing chain guide bolt access hole plug. Tighten the access hole plug to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).

Timing chain upper guide and bolts and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm)

14. Measure the timing chain tensioner. In a fully compressed, non-active state, the tensioner will measure 2.83 in (72mm). A tensioner in the active state will measure 3.35 in (85mm). To put the tensioner in a non-active state, hold the flat end of the tensioner with a wrench and rotate the piston clockwise for slightly less than one full turn.

Timing chain tensioner and tighten the tensioner to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm)

15. Use a suitable tool with a rubber tip on the end. Feed the tool down through the camshaft drive chant to rest on the timing chain. Then give a sharp jolt diagonally downwards to release the tensioner.

16. Use a 24 mm wrench to hold the camshaft and tighten the new bolts to 63 ft. lbs. (85 Nm) plus an additional 30 degrees.

17. Install the valve cover.

18. Install the engine front cover as follows:

1. Install front cover gasket, cover and cover-to-engine bolts.

2. Install the water pump-to-front cover bolts. Tighten all the cover bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).

3. Install the drive belt tensioner and tighten the bolt to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).

4. Install the crankshaft balancer and bolt.

5. Use crankshaft holding tool J 38122-A to prevent the crankshaft from rotating while tightening the crankshaft balancer bolt. Tighten the bolt to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm) plus an additional 75 degrees.

6. Install the engine splash shield.

7. Install the drive belt.

8. Install the front wheel.

19. Connect negative battery cable.

Customer:

And the approximate repair cost time and labor?

tims auto repair :

parts will be $150+/-

tims auto repair :

labor is 4.1 hrs

tims auto repair :

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button, so I can get credit for my work,,the [I EXPECTED MORE and HELPED A LITTLE rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

tim37857, Auto Mechanic
Experience: have owned repair shop for 25 years